Reload this Page >

Bought a watch in Zurich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Jack

Has anyone bought a good quality watch in Zurich? How are the prices compared to the USA? Please recommend a good store for purchasing a watch and brand selections.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 05:02 PM
Donna

I'm guessing Zurich is the worst place on the planet to buy a watch. You can get just about any watch that you can buy in Zurich in the US for much less and not have to worry about taxes and customs. Really.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 05:37 PM
Bob Brown

Ditto. If Zurich is the worst, then Luzern must be a close second. I thought a fancy watch was selling for a good price until I realized that it was 14,000 CHF and not 1,400. Gotta watch those zeroes!! <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 04:21 AM
MK

Check your prices before you leave home! I bought a Swiss-made watch in Interlaken and got a great deal compared to the price at my jewelers. They even told me how to present everything to customs. Very user friendly! Do your research before you leave home --- it depends on what type of watch you're after. We bought mine at the Bucherer store (they have several all around Switzerland.)

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Bob

I bought a watch at the Bucherer store in Interlaken last year. It was their brand and not sold in the US. Not too expensive and I liked the watch. I agree with all the others: Check the prices in US for watch you are looking for and then you have a comparison base. There are also many web sites selling watches you can use as price check.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:15 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR> A few years ago, right before a trip to Switzerland, one of my favorite places, my watch died so I was tickled at the thought of buying one in Switzerland, which I'd wanted to do for a long time. After browsing and checking things out in various cities, I ended up in a little store in Lucerne and found a <BR> perfect bracelet watch for about $l00.00 US. And I still love it. I did find a great variety of prices so be careful. This last year in Switzerland it was my husband who wanted to buy one, but the ones he liked were really expensive. So we came home with out one - then a few weeks later he bought a Swiss watch for MUCH less in the local Costco than we priced over there.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 05:16 PM
tom

Jack, <BR> <BR>Here's my watch story. I had looked at a Raymond Weill watch in Paris, Munich, Vienna and in Florence on the same trip. My wife finally said that, since they were virtually the exact same price in all the cities, that if I didn't go to the Ponte Vechio and buy the watch..it was "couch" time for me. <BR> <BR>Needless to say, I bought the watch and when I returned home I found that I had saved about $150 over same watch at mall jewelers. <BR> <BR>My only concern was that when we were having dinner in Pisa, a streeet sales man asked if I wanted to buy that same watch or even a Rolex for about $39!!! <BR> <BR>Now that was a deal, you could refuse!!!