Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Boston to London flight - day flight or night flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am accustomed to evening departure flights from East coast of US to Europe - arriving in AM. When researching flights for Spring 2005 trip, have discovered can save some money by leaving Boston around 9 AM arriving London about 6 PM.

It is intriguing to me to plan a trip arriving in evening, and after getting something to eat, checking into hotel, go to sleep and start next day, presumably less jet-lagged. Other than obvious loss of a day of vacation, wonder if anyone has any comments about day versus night flight. Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM

No, but I would love to be able to do just that! Go for the morning flight..everyone raves about how good they feel the next day.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
ira

Hi gail,

>...arriving in evening, and after getting something to eat, checking into hotel, go to sleep ...<

11:00 PM in London is 6:00 PM your time.
When was the last time you went to sleep at 6:00 PM?

My LW and I find that arriving in the AM or early afternoon lets us stay up until we are more than ready to go to sleep (about 11:00 local time) and wake up on the new schedule.

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:13 PM

I have done both. If I just don't take a nap during the day (coming in on a morning flight) but walk a lot, get fresh air, some decent food and wine of course all is fine. One time I made the mistake of taking a short nap (well that was my intention) and slept about 4 to 5 hours. Than had to get ready to go out for dinner feeling groggy etc. Than couldn't sleep well that night so tired the next day.
Late afternoon flights (6:00pm example) seem to work alright for me too. Shower, dinner etc. and than a good nights sleep and feel perfect the next day also.
Flying west to east does not seem to give me jetlag although I have ready many times, including airline info, that west to east is the worse for jetlag. But I never respond the way the experts say people do.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM

gail- there was a thread on this very topic not too long ago. You might be able to find it if you use the search at the top. I think it was split 50/50.
Surprised you found better deals leaving Boston in the AM as we've left from Boston twice and got a better deal in the PM. We're leaving from Philly in February and I wanted to try the AM flight but once again the PM was cheaper.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Like the AM flight. You have to get up pretty early to catch the 9 AM. depending where you live. What with security, getting to the airport, etc. So that 11 or 12 midnight in London is not quite like 7 pm here. Still a little difficult to fall asleep, but like it better, as don't sleep well on planes. Also with only a 6 hour flight over, doesn't give you much chance to sleep on plane if you take the night flight. believe it doesn't leave that late our time,(6 PM)? so may not fall asleep on it anyway except with pills and can do that there at midnight when you try to go to bed.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:54 PM

As a non-sleeper on planes I always fly by day to London. No feeling of jet lag for me.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM

One thing that's kept me from trying the day flight is that I absolutely loathe the return flight from Europe, which is during the day. The cabin lights being on for 7 hours, the people getting up and down constantly (because we're all awake and restless), the bathrooms seem to be used more and get dirtier faster, kids are awake, conversations are constant, etc.

On the overnight flights, even though I can't sleep, I like that the entire plane settles down when the lights go out at night. For the most part, you can get about 4-5 hours of relative peace and quiet and the flight just seems to go a lot faster than the flight home.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'll search for other thread.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Here it is: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34533750