Reload this Page >

Books/Web sites to plan Italy trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:05 PM
MD4

My husband and I hope to take a trip to Italy next year, but will probably have only a week to stay. Looking for suggestions for books or web sites that provide detailed descriptions of the regions so we can decide which ones we'd like to see. Thanks.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Rex

Oh my gosh, so many, too many to list - - but here's a few:<BR><BR>http://www.alltravelitaly.com/Italy/Destination_Guides/<BR><BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/countries/italy.htm<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>http://goitaly.about.com/mbody.htm<BR><BR>But don't make this just an online discovery process. Go to your public library. Bring home a dozen books. and of course, in fairness to our hosts, bring home Fodor's Italy.<BR><BR>This is curl up on the couch time, and time to dream.<BR><BR>Keep coming back here as your dream evolves...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Geoff

Also some suggestions when you are further along:<BR><BR>www.itwg.com (some help now as well)<BR>www.trenitalia.com<BR>www.venere.com<BR>www.caprionline.it

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Geo

On researching my upcoming European trip I got greedy and read every guidebook I could find. Researching the trip has been so much fun. You can test drive guide books at your public library and then purchase the ones you like the most.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You are in the best phase of your trip now---discovery ! Here are sources:<BR>Books--Eyewitness Guide--Italy and Michelin Green book. Best web sites for general info include:<BR>www.initaly.com--www.slowtrav.com--www.itwg.com--www.knowital.com<BR><BR>A week is not much time. Do not try to do more than 3 destinations and the big 3 art cites is too much for a week. I suggest Rome, Florence, Siena area. Good luck ! You will return later.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Davidx

I think www.enit.it is probably the most helpful accommodation website I know. Follow the map search as for some reason it is easier to look all over a province. You can usually get a firm price and a good idea of facilities.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Kathy

If flying into Rome I would suggest heading to Florence via train immediately upon arrival. Three nights Florence, one night Siena and finish up in Rome.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 07:37 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Kathy

If flying into Rome I would suggest heading to Florence via train immediately upon arrival. Three nights Florence, one night Siena and finish up in Rome.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:55 AM

topping for MD4<BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Mia

I would suggest you look at www.travel-italy.com. They were great to work with even when we had to cancel our first trip due to Sep. 11. No hassle to cancel and re-book later. <BR><BR>Look at the travel info section. It is very helpful and broken down by region.

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt