Booking with travel agents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of booking a holiday with a travel agents as a group holiday. I have never booked through an agent before so not sure of practices.
Me and 2 other friends would be flying from the same airport but my other friend lives half way across the world and would like to join us. Would it be possible for a travel agents to book 3 peoples flights (she would book her own flight seperately) but a hotel room for 4? It's just a pain to coordinate everything seperately.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 01:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. You wouldn't need a TA - this is a very simple trip. 3 people arriving from one place and one arriving from a different place. Just book flights like normal with arrivals on the same day, it doesn't matter if they are on the same airline or not. Easy peasy. Depending on where you are headed - rooms for four could be common, or hard to find (if so two double rooms could be required). Also - in some places, renting an apartment or cottage is better for a group of four.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A travel agent can easily make these bookings for flights and accommodation. If you research and book this yourself, or one of your friends does the booking, you will have more control over what is booked and, I think, get more out of your trip. A travel agent will book whatever they get commission on, or charge a fee for their service (not sure what country you're from, it would vary from country to country).

Just as an example, friends wanted to fly with a particular cheap airline to another country but the travel agent told them all sorts of reasons why another airline was better and they paid twice what they had originally budgeted for. Another example is if you book flights yourself, you have control over choosing your seat, advising of dietary requirements on the flight etc. An agent may, or may not, do all this for you.

Are you thinking of doing an organised tour as well? If you decide to book all this yourselves, check out airline websites, hotel websites etc and come back to Fodors forum for any help you need, preferably before you've made bookings or paid for things that cannot be changed.