Booking Greek Ferry

Aug 19th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Booking Greek Ferry

Is it really ok to wait until I arrive to book ferry?. I am traveling with my husband and daughter. We arrive in Athens on 8/30 and will travel to Santorini 2 days later. I would feel more comfortable taking care of everything before we get there but have been cautioned about some of the online sites.
Aug 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM

We waited until we got to Athens and booked at the airport. HOWEVER, we were very surprised (and this was just a year ago) they insisted on cash -- no credit cards! So we had to get a big chunk of cash out of the ATM and that took care of our limit for the day and couldn't get more til the next day. Not a huge problem, but totally unexpected. I can't speak for every agency who sells ferry tickets, but just keep this in mind as a possibility.
Aug 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Travelling mid-week at the beginning of September shouldn't be a problem. You will have a choice of several different ferries, including Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 6 leaving at 7:10am, arriving on Santorini at 11:15am, and Blue Star Paros departing at 7:25am, arriving at 3:20pm.

Personally I would wait until arriving in Athens, but if it makes you feel more comfortable, book ahead. Suggest you either book with Amphitrion Holidays and pick up your tickets when you arrive at the airport, or direct with the ferry company and pick up your tickets when you arrive at Piraeus. When you make the booking you will be given a reference number, not the actual tickets.
Aug 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM

If you plan to get to Santorini on a large car ferry booking the economy fares you can just wait until you're at the port to get your tickets. But be advised that the port in August will be very busy, so arrive at least 1.5 hours earlier than your departure.

You can also go to the Amphitrion Holidays website and book online. You will then pick up your ferry tickets when you first arrive at the Athens Airport from their travel desk in the Arrivals Hall between doors 2&3. They're open 24/7.
Aug 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM

You could read up about this one, but from what I've read, it seems reputable if you do choose to buy e-tickets: http://www.goferry.gr/default2.asp?lang=en

My cousin just came back from Greece (mid-Aug) and said the one thing she wished she'd done is to book ferries at least a day or 2 in advance, as they were having to take late night/early morning ferries due to tourist season. It's possible at the end of August, not to mention mid-week, you would be fine just booking day-of, but I suppose if you want to be safe, investigate e-bookings as well.
Aug 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM

brotherlee is advocating online booking ... but his tip is to book them through a particular agency -- one that has an always-open office at the airport. That way, you can pick up on arrival , 50 feet from where you emerge from baggage/passport control ... no worries about lines at the ferry port.
Aug 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!