Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Book now or wait for tickets to Rome in June - found good price but still not sure

Search

Book now or wait for tickets to Rome in June - found good price but still not sure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My message title is long but I was afraid to make it too short or vague. We are planning a trip to Italy in June and another couple has just decided to join us. They have never been out of the country so, as usual, I am in charge of all arrangements. I know it is early for fare sales, but LTU is offering a fare of $661 (taxes included) from JFK to FCO. The only problem is that it flies through Dusseldorf and there is an overnight in this city on the return from Rome. (Arrives in Dus at 5ish and leaves for New York at 2ish the next day.) Last your the sale price from JFK to Rome in June on Air France was about $775 through CDG. I am asking a "What would you do?" question. Would you book it or wait until January/February and look for a sale? (Please, no snappish answers. Thanks!)
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM

If you don't mind the stop in Dusseldorf on the way over and the overnight on the way back,it sounds like a good fare to me. I've been searching all morning for a late-June RT flight to Rome from the DC area, and the best I've come up with for a non-stop (which I absolutely must have) is about $1,400.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Is the overnight stay included in the ticket's price?
From JFK the price that you quoted is not a real bargain.
Considering that I paid 755 this past June for an open Jaw ticket, landing in Rome and leaving from Paris, but I live in Texas..
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM
ira

Hi rbn,

If you wait until January you MIGHT get about the same price without the layover.

If the price doesn't include the cost of a hotel in Dusseldorf, it's not much of a bargain. You also have to figure in transfers to/from the airport.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:40 AM

check out rates on www.kayak.com

seemed like fall fares to Europe were offered last spring. I am not sure if this is a new strategy for airfare.

I don't think 661 is that great (non school break fares) for Italy certainly not with a stop over.

Hang on, and don't jump. I just paid 661 to Paris because I did not wait. The very next day fares went down to 545. I ususally have paid 470,525 to Italy in the fall. I thought prices just before summer were also considerably less.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM

If it were non-stop, or with a short layover, I'd think it a pretty good fare for June. With an overnight stay (extending my vacation time by one day with no particular enjoyment, not to mention the expense of hotel and dinner) I'd say no. In fact, I'd pay more to eliminate that extended layover.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Sarah,
We are going in June, which I think is school break time AND high season. I think everyone who has responded is right. I am not feeling the stopover in Dusseldorf thing. Paris or Venice or London, maybe. How about $778 on Air Lingus, through Dublin with no long layovers? As I said, we paid about this last summer without the expensive fuel. What to do, what to do?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:18 PM

When I taught (NYC) school break started towards the end of June. Last year NYC elementary school ended June 28. I always thought this impacted other airfare sales. It looked like it impacted fares to Hawaii. I know, not linked to Italy but the fares pop right back up when kids are out. Just food for thought, this sort of thing is so hard to guess unless the fare is an exceptional buy.

I have not traveled or followed fares from NYC to Italy for that time of year rbnwdln. So of course go with your gut....I would just caution you not to go with whim. I have done that, too many times. Its too late for me but save yourself. Lol
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM

If I were you I would try to get a cheap flight to London and then fly with easyjet or Ryan air. Of course you would have to wait til you are six months out to make arrangements.

We are flying to Italy at the end of May out of Florida. If I can't get a good direct flight to Rome then I know I can get a good deal on a flight to London and then just take an easyjet or ryan air flight.

My friends in England said right now that have tickets for a pence return. They flew to Dublin for 10 pence and paid the taxes, about $12.00 last december.

good luck!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of London-Ryanair/Easyjet. How does one book a flight on these lowcost European airlines? Just go to the websites?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM

yes Rbnwdln go to website. ...let me know how it turns out. I could not find the flight to Paris on Ryan air
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM

never mind forgot you were going to Rome
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:23 AM
rex

The connection through London makes sense for some travel plans - - and not so much, for others. There is inevitably a transfer of 1.5-2 hours by bus (to use a low-cost intra-Europe carrier like Ryanair or easyjet, etc), and it can mean eating up the better part of a day coming or going, or both.

Originating in Florida - - or having some interest in perhaps staying a day or two in the UK - - as appears to be the case for <i>dewdrops</i>... changes the equation quite a bit - - originating in New York, as you are, I think you can have your price (sub $750) and convenience too (not necessarily nonstop - - but generally very much to your liking).

One-stop connection, SAME airport (i.e., avoiding transfer LHR to LGW or MXP to LIN, etc) is not bad, though increasingly more and more folks are trying to avoid Paris CDG for a single connection.

It might also be worth your while to post on the cheap flights forum of www.eurotrip.com - - the moderator there, Don, seems to know more in the tip of his little finger (about finding good air fares) than most of us will ever know!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I checked into the Ryanair thing and I think I can do just as well without that hassle. My husband nixed the whole LTU through Dusselforf idea. I will most likely wait for a fare sale in Jan/Feb. OR possibly the Air Lingus through Dublin. I refuse to go through CDG if at all possible after last year's disaster of the bussing, the running, the lost luggage, the missed flight, the random passport checks, etc. coming and going.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
rex

If my post was useful to you... you're welcome...