Book now for Scotland?

Search

Book now for Scotland?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Book now for Scotland?

I've been checking a number of the "Find cheaper seats" web sites and they, plus the USAirways website, all list almost identical prices for flying from Philadelphia to Glasgow RT in late July, returning mid-August. Coming home on a weekday vs. Saturday (no USAir flights listed for the return on a Sunday) only saves me about $65 per person. The price is showing as $1,070 RT on USAirways, the only non-stop flight, with the rest actually having us pay more so we can spend time doing layovers in Cleveland, or Houston, or whatever!

My question is whether to book now or wait a while to see if prices go down at all? As of today there seem to be a number of seats available, but I'm not sure how quickly they may fill up. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:44 AM

I can't answer your question, but I do hope you book
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

I don't know about holidays into the UK but I do know that after several mergers and takeovers some of the biggest UK travel agents are warning about reduced availability of holidays and the need to book well in advance - which probably means they have millions of unsold holidays!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't give you advice - it really is a crapshoot. But you are going at the very highest of high season.

I <i>might</i> check flights into London (or Dublin) and then either a cheap flight or train up to Scotland. Fares are usually less into LOndon due to the competitive route. But often not cheap enough to offset the extra cost of getting north.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I just booked my flight to LHR and then LHR to Abedeen(90+80tax) rtn. 1070 is about as good as it may get without a major crisis in holiday travel. Better choice of seats now. Doubt seriously it will get much cheaper.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Last year I booked USAir in January for travel in June. From time to time, I checked their web site and there was no change. Then about 2 weeks before I was due to travel, the airfare dropped by just over $300 per5 person. I checked the small print, and found that there was some sort of price promise where if prices went down substantially, you could get the difference refunded.
I phoned customer services armed with the relevant info from the website and had some trouble making myself understood! The guy I was taking to had absolutely no idea what I was referring to so I asked to speak to a supervisor. I quoted the website word for ward and said that I was requesting the promised refund.
The supervisor then told me that I was entitled to the refund but that I could only have a voucher which had to be used within a year ofr issue. Not ideal for me, but I have managed to use 2 out of the 3 vouchers.
This may be an option for you if you book now and prices go down just befo0re you travel. The other point is that last year flight prices were not reduced until almost time to travel. Maybe this will help you to make a decision on when to book.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Carolina,

Thanks for the suggestion! Last week we booked our flight through USAirways because we want to come back the weekend of August 16/17, and USAir didn't have a flight back on Sunday and the Saturday flight seemed to be filling up quickly. I looked into other airlines/airports/etc., but it still seemed as if USAir had the least expensive direct flight. I think we got good seats (relatively speaking) - the plane is a 757-200 (three seats divided by a center aisle) and for the flight over we got row 11 and row 5 for the flight back. I wish we had individual seatback video screens, but hey, I'll be on my way to two weeks in Scotland and I hope I sleep most of the flight, anyway!