Reload this Page >

Book about driving in Britain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Kittie

Hello, <BR> <BR>For all of you who will be renting cars in the U.K.... <BR>I have just received the most informative book about driving in Britain. It is called "A North American's guide to the ins and outs and roundabouts of driving over there". I was guided to this gentleman by a person on the Electric Soctland web page. <BR>It is written by a Canadian gentlemen who uses wit and humor to get his points accross. The book is only $12.95US+$2shipping. <BR>I was very worried about driving on the left in Scotland, but this book made me feel alot better. It will definitely be 'front-seat' material when we are there. <BR>His name is Rob Lockhart and his web page is www.roundabout.net <BR>Kittie

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 04:11 AM
mustangs81

Thank you Kittie for yet another helpful tip. I do the driving when my husband and I are in Europe but because my dyslexia, I have avoided left-side driving, which of course, precludes Great Britain. I have driven the road to Hana, the Mediterranean coast of Italy, NYC, and…Boston,so I guess I shouldn't be apprehensive about left-side driving. I followed the thread on this subject sometime back, it was helpful and I am continuing to work on my courage. We are both in Tampa, perhaps we should form our own little support group.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 08:34 AM
Kendra

Kittie, don't worry about driving in Scotland. My husband and I were there in March and I was very nervous about driving, but it turned out to be easy. Plus, there is not much traffic in Scotland once you get away from the major cities. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 08:48 AM
Kay

Kittie, thanks so much. The web site is great and probably enough info. But since my husband's birthday is soon and HE will be the designated driver when we go to England in October, I've ordered the whole book for him. I'm sure the book will help me, the designated navigator, as well. Again, many thanks.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 04:43 PM
Kittie

I'm glad I could help. I found Rob's book to be very useful. <BR>I am looking forward to our trip. Since I am the navigator I will be what Rob calls the Tee-Cee (travel campanion) and yell "stay left, stay left". <BR>Thanks Kendra for the words of encouragement. I will admit that I am nervous about my boyfriend driving on the left. I guess that I am most concerned about picking up the car in Glasgow. I know that the airport is out of the city limits, but it can still be city traffic until we get into the less populated areas. <BR>I guess I am just a 'worry-wort' &lt;g&gt;. <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 06:30 AM
toppette

up

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Kittie

up

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Rob

We just got back from the UK. We drove all over including twice in London. Let me tell you it's a major trick. It took at least three days to get the hang of it. My wife was constantly yelling - Don't hit the parked car, don't hit the curb, get over when passing. I thanked her for it. Keep this mantra in mind and repeat it regularly - "short left, wide right". Also when in doubt on the roundabouts go around again. Actually the roundabouts make a lot of sense after a few days. In fact I found the drivers to be curteous. Driving is more of a team sport there.

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 03:34 PM
Kittie

Rob, <BR> <BR>Your wife sounds like I think I will be when my boyfriend is driving. I am very impressed that you tackled the roads in London. <BR>Thanks for the words of wisdom. <BR>I know this question has been asked under a separate topic, but did you get the insurance or did was your credit card insurance sufficient? <BR>Kittie <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 12:14 AM
Nigel Doran

Once you have mastered the driving, it will be time to move on to the parking. <BR>Parallel parking can be difficult, mainly because of the narrow streets. Car parks, annoyingly, tend to have much narrower spaces than those in the U S. Also, parking rules can be difficult to understand, so if in doubt, ask! Otherwise you might get fined or clamped. If that happens, you will be forced to pay up to £150 to get it released. Have lots of change at hand for parking machines. <BR>There is also lots of car crime, so always make sure everything is cleared from the car, even a map on the back seat (thieves might think it is hiding something.) I always leave the glove compartment open and empty. <BR>Try to get a car with an alarm or immobiliser and/or crook lock. <BR>This is mainly common sense, but worth stressing because car trouble is a pain at the best of times.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:00 AM
Gayle

Do we need to purchase extra auto insurance for the UK? Is it necessary to inform our auto insurance agent? Is a U.S. drivers license adequate? Thanks.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 11:51 AM
Rob

We used the insurance on the credit card. We didn't have to make a claim so it's difficult to know how good it is. We went to AAA and got international drivers licenses. It cost us $16 each. I guess it's not important in the UK. <BR> You might look at my UK experiences on my web page. However, it's still under construction plus Pacbell is a little slow - /home.pacbell.net/rimerson/ <BR>