Search

Boo Hoo - AA discontinuing direct service DFW-ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boo Hoo - AA discontinuing direct service DFW-ZRH

Too bad for us folks who hub thru DFW.

Effective the end of October, American Airlines will be discontinuing this non-stop flight.

Getting to Switzerland on AA now means an extra stop at JFK or going thru LHR or BRU.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM

No surprise, with Swiss International now a Lufthansa subsidiary and Star Alliance carrier. AA's previous code-sharing and partnerships with LX has basically ended.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Schade.

Another reason to fly with SAS from Seattle to Zürich.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:04 AM

When Lufthansa bought Swiss, it became, not "if" but "when" will AA pull out out of ZRH. No connecting partner.

I'm wondering if AA will start a new service to Budapest. Malev Hungarian Airines joined OneWorld few months back. Malev has a nice Central, Eastern European coverage, an area that was somewhat limited before for OW.

Another airline is ready to join OW on NOV1 2007. Hong Kong based Dragon Air. This airline will give OW many new destinations in China, which was also somewhat limited before.

You lose some, you gain some....
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Seems like AA is finally starting a few non-LHR routes. Milan, Barcelona, and Stansted. But all from JFK. That seem to be their "focus city" for new European flights, rather than using ORD.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:31 AM

Looks that way.

AA just opened a new Flagship Lounge in the brand new terminal.

Malev has once a day from JFK to BUD.

I'm surprised that they have not included BUD with the other new additions, but maybe they are still working out codeshare arrangments with Malev?

Milan - final destination - Fashion industry has huge presence in both cities.

Barcelona - OW partnership with Iberia, so many possibilities of connection and codesharing.

Stansted - trying to apply some pressure on MaxJet.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Especially with the current state of currency valuation, I'd imagine a lot of market decisions are being based on Europe-originating pax rather than US-originating. For those pax, NYC and Florida remain the key US destinations.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Another thought about Swiss.

Great airline, but only an AAdvantage partner, not part of OneWorld.

So for anybody looking to purchase a OneWorld RTW ticket or do a OW award, Swiss was useless.

and finally, a reliable "inside" information posted on Flyertalk the 5 biggest profit making routes for AA and ZRH was #5, but that was in 2005. So who knows? but I really believe that was a done deal once LH bought Swiss.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
yk

It really is a shame for folks in Dallas. DFW is AA's headquaters, and there are a pitiful number of nonstop European destinations:
LGW (and LHR in near future)
FRA
CDG

And that's it!!!

The # of flights DFW-JFK are limited (vs DFW-LGA), which makes it difficult to connect via JFK unless one is willing to spend hours in JFK.

I need to move somewhere else...
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM

yk - AA feels like you can fly to LHR and then connect to BA. Or you can connect at ORD.

From Houston, CO also only flies to a handful of European destinations - LGW (and soon LHR), AMS, CDG. FRA has been talked about for years but 2009 will be the earliest.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

yk, I echo your sentiments! And coming from Austin, that's another connection.

We'd have to leave Austin at 6 or 7 AM just to get to DFW and still have a 3 hr connection at JFK. Yuck!

There is a later flight (8:50 AM) from Austin thru DFW, but it gives only a 40 minute connection at JFK! Can't even believe that's a legal connection for an international flight.

Oh well. Looks like next summer's trip will be AUS-DFW-FRA, then taking the train to Switzerland.

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

To be fair, there are many other international flights out of DFW.

EZE
GRU
SCL
LIM
NRT
CRS
GUA
MBJ
MEX

Plus few more Carribean islands and Central America.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM

From Austin, why wouldn't you fly through ORD if you want to stick with AA to Europe?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
yk

rkkwan- The problem with the DFW-LHR flight is on the return, LHR-DFW is the earlier flight which leaves around 10ish in the morning. Basically it's almost impossible to catch that flight if one is flying into LHR on BA from a different city. I think they really need to move the LHR-DFW flight to the later one which leaves early afternoon.

And then, of course, who wants to connect in LHR???

Looks like flying into FRA and then take the DB train somewhere is the best option right now.

I'd be interested in the DFW-JFK-BCN route if the flight times work out.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

Of course you guys can all switch to CO, and fly through EWR to Europe.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hello rkkwan, and thanks for your help! I'm really just trying to get to Switzerland with the least number of hops. (And all our miles are with AA.)

There is no nonstop flight ORD to ZRH. Everything is going to hub thru JFK.

Now maybe the plan is for there to be a nonstop AUS-JFK flight. That would sure be nice, given the recent changes.

Fat chance..ugh..

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
P_M

"Of course you guys can all switch to CO, and fly through EWR to Europe."

Already did that!! I was very impressed with CO's FF program so I thought I would give that a try for a couple of years. If I don't like it, I'm sure AA will take me back. Unforunately, AA does have better prices and schedules to the LA area, where I have family so I will probably continue to use AA for those trips. But I'm giving CO a try for overseas travel, so we'll see how it goes.

Kopp, I sure will miss those cognac chocolate bars from ZRH!! And I completely agree with your idea for service from AUS/JFK.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

I had not realized how limited international service was available from many major US cities. It makes me appreciate the choices available to those of us with Toronto as home airport. According to the airport's web site there are 76 international destinations (not counting the 47 US destinations) of which over 30 are European, including daily non-stop to Zurich.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM

<g>Gavin,

I believe you misunderstood. The discussion was about 1 or 2 airlines, not what else is available. There are probably just as many international destinations if not more from most major US airports, such as ORD, DFW, LAX, JFK, ATL and MIA.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
P_M

Gavin, we are talking primarily about flights from Houston and Dallas, and we've only mentioned AA and CO. There is a great deal more international service from the US than what's been mentioned here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -