Reload this Page >

Bone church outside Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:08 AM
cali

Hi! A while back I watched a show on the Travel Channel about a church outside of Budapest that was decorated in thousands and thousands of bones, skulls etc. Very macabre but very cool. Does anyone know the name of the church, the city it's in and how far from Budapest it is. THanks!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Art

Hi Cali, I believe that the church that you are referring to is in the Check Republic outside of Prague not in Hungary. The city is Uunta Hora. There may be one in Hungary, but if there is, I'm not familiar with it. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Joe

cali: Art's information is correct. Couple of edits: It Czech Republic and the town is Kutna Hora. Very interesting place.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:40 AM
cali

Thanks so much! Do you happen to know the name of the church?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Art

Thanks for the correct Joe. I know it is the Czech Republic. I must hav been think about my bank account!! I can't believe that I also misspelled Kutna Hora. Oh well, I just got up and am still half asleep. <BR>Cali, I don't remember the name of the church, but will try to look it up today and let you know. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Joe

cali: the name is Kostnice and it is in Sedlic, about a mile from Kutna Hora. <BR> <BR>And, your welcome Art. Happy to be your assistant any time.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:55 AM
snorkelman

There is a great bone collection in ROme. It is the basement of a church called Santa Maria Della Concezione. You enter and there is artwork made out of human bones (from 4000 priests and monks) all over the walls and ceilings. Really weird. You are supposed to pay a small donation to see this stuff – also you are not supposed to take pictures.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:00 AM
clairobscur

There's also such a bone church in Evora (Portugal)