Reload this Page >

Bologna /Modena/Parma/Ferrara

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 1998, 06:29 AM
Linda

My husband and I are spending 2 weeks in Italy this October and want to just relax, and have memorable meals in small, local trattorias. We have already seen the major sights, just want to eat and relax on this trip. All I have read says that the Bologna region has the very best food in Italy, however I never see any references to this area? Has anyone spent time in these four cities, and do you have specific restaurant recommendations? Thanks!

Old May 13th, 1998, 11:53 AM
AnnabelBriger

A wonderful area of Italy and an Epicurean's delight. Bologna is known as the "la dotta e la grassa", the fat and the learned, for its medieval university and exquisite food. Bolognese food is traditionally heavy and rich, however lighter fare may be found in the trattorias and osterias (more casual). For a full ou Bolognese "ristorante" Cesare is a favorite. However, some of the best food is to be found at Il Cantinone (on via Praetello)- the house specialty is penne with saffron cream, but all the pasta is incredible and the house wine quite good- and Trattoria (il?) Broccaindosso (on via Broccaindosso)- where you are bombarded with endless appetizers and homemade pastas. I never made it the meat course, but the desserts are well worth the effort, if you possibly can.
Parma is well worth a visit for the prosciutto and the best parmigiano cheese. Although I have not sampled it, I've heard that the Modenese specialty of veal in balsamic vinegar is well worth a trip.
Enjoy!!!

Old May 14th, 1998, 01:14 AM
anders

Bolongna is in the state of Emilia-Romana (sp?), as are the other great food cities of Parma and Modena. It's been written (and I agree) that ER sets the best table in Italy. If it's eating you want to do, your going to epicurian center of Italy. The food is divine. Proscutto from Parma, Reggiano-Parmesian, Balsamic Vinegar from Modena - wow, I'm getting hungry. I've made several visits to these towns while passing through either to Tuscany or the Ligurian coast. Sadly, I have'nt kept notes or names of restaurants. I'd recommend that you pick up the Michelin guide for Italia and visit the big three cities; Bologna, Parma and Modena.

Old May 16th, 1998, 05:58 PM
Barbara

Linda, Just spent an idyllic time in this area last spring and have many suggestions. Run, do not walk, to your nearest bookstore for a copy of Fred Plotkin's Italy for the Gourmet Traveller. No one who loves to eat should go to Italy without it. Also check Karen Brown's guide to Italy B&B's and read the entry on Villa Gaidello in the little village of Castelfranco Emiglia, outside Modena. It was one of the best places we have stayed ever, and Paola Bini's restaurant there is renowned all over the region. Call ahead to Osteria Giusti in Modena for the eating experience of your life. Allow time to see Modena, Parma, Bologna, and Faenza. You can relax at Paola's farm and just see one town each day -- all very close. This is a very very very very special place. Read more in award-winning cookbook The Splendid Table. If you wish more information, e-mail me directly. By the way, October is a great time to be in Italy. Hope to hear from you.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Santa Chiara

To the top for Nancy.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 07:38 AM
NANCY

Thanks, Santa Chiara! <BR> <BR>I looked up Villa Gaidello and fell in love with it. Anything you can think of around that area. We do prefer inn-villa-type accomodations to large hotels. You have been a great help. Thank you. <BR>Nancy

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:53 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Linda <BR>Can recommend three ristorantes in Bologna, all close to the Pza Maggiore. <BR>RIST. NOTAI via de Pignattari, $$$$ <BR>reservation a must, very good service <BR>and excellant food. <BR>RISTORANTE LA MELA, via de Fusari, 5 <BR>$$$ resvn suggested. Very excellant <BR>fish dishes, also does have pizza. <BR>TRATTORIA DA ADOLFO, Corte Galluzzi, 7 <BR>Resvn a must $$$ Thie is a ristorante <BR>with less than ten tables, a ma and pa <BR>type operation, but excellant food. <BR>It is located in a corte about a block <BR>up the via Massimo d'Azeglio... <BR>Have a good trip. Richard of La Grange <BR>Park, Il...

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Rex

topping, for heather...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:20 AM
toptop

Topping for Jim.