Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bologna and Florence in September, any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Margaret

I will be attending a mosaic class in Ravenna for the second full week of September but will fly in to Bologna the Wednesday prior. Can anyone recommend interesting things to see/do, places to eat, etc. I like walking, sightseeing, museums, out of the way unusual places, and of course shopping! Is it worth it to rent a car to see the places nearby or are trains the way to go? I will be flying back to the US from Florence, and I have a list a mile long of things I want to see there, but any suggestions/advice is appreciated re: places to eat, things to avoid, etc. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Chris

Hi Margaret -- <BR> <BR>I might be able to help you with Florence a little. Everything took a lot less time than I thought. The Accademia is VERY small. David and Prisoners/Slaves are the major highlights. If you're like me, the religious paintings will become a little repetitive after a while. If you're not, count on A LOT more time to get around (I went through the Accademia in 30-45 min, the Uffizi in a couple of hours, etc.) <BR> <BR>I like architecture, details in woodwork, etc. Michelangelo's steps (in the Medici library) are beautiful. I stayed in Santa Croce for 45 min looking at all the stones in the floor. I went to the Barghello museum also, liked that too. <BR> <BR>There is a pharmacy too (I can't remember the name of the street, it's near the train station, they make their soaps, perfumes, etc., it's at number 16 -- I just can't remember the name of the street!!) where I really liked the architecture. Their stuff is VERY expensive ($6 for a bar of soap). But WOW, loved the place. I'm sure it's mentioned in your guide book. <BR> <BR>See the Pitti Palace in the morning -- I missed out on some of the rooms because they closed at 12-1pm. Try to hit the Ponte Vecchio early in the am -- it's packed around noon -- if you want to shop there I think the stores open at 10-10:30. <BR> <BR>Get your tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia on line. Hard to pick a time now, but it's worth it later!! And wherever you are, LOOK UP!! The ceilings are incredible! <BR> <BR>I just grabbed sandwiches/pizza/gelato -- it's expensive for a sit down meal (in Florence a salad and two sodas cost me over $20; in Venice a small plate of pasta, coffee, tiramisu, a soda and a bottled water was $35.) <BR> <BR>I wasn't really "comfortable" in Florence. I had no problems except some creep waited about 30 min for me to finish my lunch (the one sit-down meal I had) and started walking with me -- "how long are you here", "are you here alone", etc.) He went away after I said I was going to meet my husband, but couldn't shake that "I'm being watched" feeling. I was careful to close my purse after taking out my camera, take the picture, open the purse, blah, blah, blah -- sort of a "one task at a time" theory. I had no other problems other than that creep, but I was feeling uncomfortable in Florence even before my "creepy encounter." <BR> <BR>The leather prices aren't as good as I had expected, but I believe I had unrealistic expectations. The Leather School is connected to Santa Croce -- go into the gift shop, walk down the hallway to your right and you're in the "small item" area. There will be another hallway to your left and that's where coats and purses are. I thought everything was of good quality, I just didn't expect the prices to be that "high" (but I do believe it to be good quality for the price.) <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Ian

A car is not essential when visiting Florence but is highly recommended when touring Tuscany especially to be able to take detours and to visit the smaller villages off the main tourist routes so as to get a better feel of Tuscan life. <BR>For something unusual I could suggest you participating in the grape harvest. I know that Fattoria Pagnana which is about 10 miles S/E of Florence can offer you an easy morning in the vines followed by a light lunch followed by an easy going themed cookery lesson (using the grape in various recipies)in the afternoon. You can check them out on www.fattoria-pagnana.com or reach them on [email protected] <BR>They have another advantage in that they are very close to the factory outlets of Gucci, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, and the recently opened one of Fendi.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Margaret

Chris - why did you feel uncomfortable in Florence? Was it due to being a woman traveling alone? I am somewhat concerned about that and I've heard a lot about pickpockets. I could pass for an Italian so maybe I won't get hassled too much. I may or may not have other people traveling there, as I may meet people in the class that will be willing to meet me in Florence. In that case, it won't be an issue. If not, then it may. I don't know how to manage with the food situation, I heard that food was very reasonable in Ravenna, but it is a small town. I'm sure Florence is going to make as much money as possible off the tourists. I've heard that about Venice as well. Thanks for the heads up and the suggestions. <BR>Ian, thanks so much for telling me about the outlets! I never would have thought that the designers would have outlets just like here. I will definitely be checking them out. I'm going to look into what you recommended about the wine festival and renting a car to view the Tuscan countryside. Thanks to you also for your recommendations.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Chris

Hi Margaret <BR> <BR>I really can't pinpoint why I felt uncomfortable. I guess because there are SO MANY people in the streets selling stuff, there seemed to be a lot of men just hanging around in the streets, it was crowded, etc. There are signs in churches and museums warning you of pickpockets. I think some of it had to do with traveling alone, but it really doesn't bother me to do that. I was always "on guard", but I was able to enjoy things too. I think someone did try to get into my shoulder suitcase at the train station -- felt a bump, turned around and a guy behind me put his hands up (guess he was practicing ;-) ) <BR> <BR>I would go alone again! I didn't feel so uncomfortable that I wouldn't. <BR> <BR>Have fun! And I didn't have a problem finding something to eat (!), I just ate while walking.