Boating around Capri to and in the Grotto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about the island of Capri but have heard about boating to the Grotto there. I would like to know if you can rent a boat yourself, (motorboat?) and explore the island on your own? If so, can you boat through the inside of the Grotto with that same boat? Can you rent a boat when you get to Capri? Where exactly? Or should you reserve one beforehand? So many questions, but I don't understand how it works over there. Thanks for any and all help.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You can boat around the island and up to the grotto, but no, not into it. It's a really tiny hole and you have to actually wait until the sea is calm to go in. When the sea is calm, there is a whole commercial group of boats, with a boat that takes your money. You have to get into a little row boat (they arrive about 9 a.m. in the morning during calm sea) and you can either jump from your rented boat into theirs (or alternatively, take the bus in Anacapri to the Grotto and they'll pick you up at the "dock" to the side of the grotto), then pay the fee, lie down in the row boat and the rower will take you inside. That is really the safest way of getting in. Once inside, the rower will row you around the grotto, allow you to whip your hand around in the water (some will say ok to jump in), then they'll sing you a song, and you will have to tip them.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

I didn't get to do the blue grotto on Capri because of the weather but did one on Malta and unless you were very experienced with a boat and understood the currents in the exact spot where you enter the grotto you would not want to do this. And probably no one would rent you a boat unless you could prove that you had the expertise. It was interesting to watch the boatman who knew the exact spot to turn off the engine. The entrance to the grotto was very small (you could almost touch the rocks on both sides from the boat and I believe it's the same on Capri.

The boats through grottos are very small, a bit larger than a row boat with a motor. When you take the blue grotto trip you start in a large boat and then transfer to a small boat when you're on the water.

About exploring the island with a boat...I don't think there are many harbors. Capri is a rocky island and the towns of Capri and Anacapri are way above the port. There are walks on the island but I believe you start from one of the towns.

If you're doing a day trip you will have to leave about 4:00 for the last boat back.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM

One more thing, as cheesy as it is, it's worth it!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:11 AM

There used to be a tourist information booth located in Capri Town close to the last stop of the funicular.

When we visited a few years ago, we negotiated a private boat tour with one of the "captains" of the small boats moored in Marina Grande ( bottom of the funicular, area where larger boats from Sorrento and Naples arrive).

Our boat tour was a 4-hour around the island tour, and the Captain spoke almost no English, and I spoke very little Italian!

At the entrance of The Blue Grotto, we were switched into a much smaller boat, were we had to lie down flat on the floor in order to pass through the tiny Grotto opening.

We found the experience a thrill. The oarsmen sing chants whose notes echo off the grotto walls. Also the water seems to turn swimmers and even some of the boat passengers a certain shade of translucent blue!

I'd highly recommend it. But whether you can get in or not is up to the tides and the winds on the day of your visit.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

My concern was whether to reserve a tour/boat or not and you had answered that quite well. We will play it all by ear when we get there due to the weather. Thank you so much. We definitely will make it a priority when going to Capri.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Just wondering as posters read thru this thread - have there ever been any injuries as the little boats scoot in and out of the grotto? We did the grotto thing and it did seem to me there wasn't a large margin of error - a wave too big and the boat could easily bump the roof of the opening with a fair amount of force. I was motivated to lay as low in that boat as I could. One other comment - I have read you can swim into the grotto on your own, I think at the end of the day when the armada has departed. I'm a decent swimmer - I would probably be too afraid to try it. If you think you could do it with a life jacket, you might be smashed into the top of the opening.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Suec, when we went, it took 3 times going before the sea was calm enough to go in. First time was on one of those tours where they'll stop and get you onto the smaller boat depending on the water. The second time, we took a bus from Capri Town, wearing bathing suits under our shorts, to Anacapri to the Grotto (i.e. 2 buses). Again, no row boats, late afternoon, opening too small.

However, many people in little boats or who ran down to the grotto on the little path jumped into the water (there's a stair from the landing to the sea); waiting for the waves to separate, and swam right in. There's also a chain you can hold onto that extends horizontally from the outer portion to the inner portion (this is used by the boatsmen to thrust a boat into or out of the grotto).

I tried to do this several times before completely chickening out. My husband was fearless and did it with no problem. Some go in, misangle or hit a wave, and end up scraping themselves on the rocks at the bottom of the opening. If you screw up navigating the waves, a wave could also feasibly push you to the top of the hole, and I would imagine getting a little more than scraped.

I witnessed just one or two little tiny abrasions while I sat there and waited for my husband to come back out. By the way, at least in summer, the water is not at all cold.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM

re: renting a boat on your own...

for a little over 100 euros, we rented a zodiac in Marina Grande for three and half hours. Truly, this was a once-in-a-lifetime gorgeous experience. We had plenty of time for lots of stops, anchoring the boat, diving off of rocks, swimming into the green grotto and the white grotto, zipping through and around the Faraglioni rocks -- unbelievable!!! (We packed a yummy picnic, too!)