Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BMI from Edinburgh to LHR and on to LA, Barbara?

Feb 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

In a recent post, Barbara mentioned that bags were checked thru to LA from Edinburgh. I am about to book a cheap flight on BMI from Edinburgh to Heathrow to catch a flight on American Airlines to LA. There are 2 flights, scheduled to arrived 2 hours or 4 hours before American flight leaves. Will bags be checked through? Does BMI run on time? My DH likes to very early. Thanks for any help.
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

OOps, DH likes to ARRIVE early before flights.
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
ira

Hi Susan,

If you book for the 4hr layover, you will make your plane.

If you book for the 2hr layover, you will most likely make your plane.
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Hi Susan, we flew from LHR on United and they and BMI are part of the same group. That may make a difference as far as checking bags through to LAX goes.

In my experience, BMI has been on time. If your bags are checked through, the 2 hours should be enough, but if it will keep your DH more relaxed, do the 4 hour layover. There are plenty of things to look at/eat/buy at Heathrow, and you do have to change terminals, etc.
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM

BMI is not partners with American, but they are with United and I think with US Airways - at least I know you can earn United miles with them, and you might can earn US Airways miles with them, but I've never booked this way.

I have booked 2 flights on BMI within Europe but have not taken them yet. I'll let you know when I do. When is this trip? Time of year might make a difference with possible weather delays?

I would personally book for 4 hours, unless you want the extra time in Edinburgh. You can't get bored in Heathrow airport ... just bring a book.

Good luck.
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM

A recent study showed that London Heathrow has the most delays of any airport in Europe. This can mean that planes coming in have to circle before landing or wait on the tarmac after landing.

I've taken two BMI flights, one LHR-CDG and one LHR-VCE, and one was about one hour late, and the other was a few minutes late.

Allowing only two hours sounds mad to me.
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:46 PM

They don't have to be part of the same alliance to have the bags checked through.

That being said - w/ 2 hours you would probably make your flight w/o any problems, but there is a good chance your luggage will be on the later one. Not really that big a problem since you will be going home and don't need all those dirty clothes anyway.

But I personally would be happier w/ the 4 hour layove - there is lots to fill your time at LHR.
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I would go with the 4 hr layover. If you are booking 2 separate tickets (which it sounds like you are), you may not be able to check your bags through. BMI has no obligation.
If they do not check your bags through, you will need time to collect your bags, recheck them, and then go to the AA departures desk to pick up your boarding pass for the LHR-LA flight. You won't make it in 2 hrs.
Also be aware that if you are booking 2 separate tickets and you miss your flight, AA has no obligation to you. You will be considered a no-show and you will have to make new tickets purchases home.
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM

First, you need to check with AA. You WON'T get a through boarding pass, and therefore need to check in with AA at LHR. Do they allow you two hours - or rather the 90 min max you're going to have? Don't know: they do

Then, if you have two tickets - which presumably you do -you need to speak to bmi. And preferably that means, if you can, the checkin staff at EDI.

If bmi won't check your bags through, you're going to be struggling to make the connection in 2 hrs for all the reasons nibblette says. You'll need 4.

Now my experience with bmi (from LHR, connecting elsewhere in Europe) is that they behave like most airlines used to: that is, your bags are checked straight through even though you - not your bags - need to check in at LHR to get your LAX boarding pass. THey use to call it interline agreemebts. But that all seems to be changing

BA, increasingly, won't do this if two tickets are used and the other ticket is on a non-partner airline. Whether the poison has spread - who knows? (It's a year or so since bmi last let me through-check on two tickets). If it has, you'll need 4 hours.

But the airlines are the people who really know. Call them now.
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all. After reading posts, I know DH will need the 4 hours between flights.