Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BMI/British Midland: Is it worth complaining?

Sep 13th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Recently I was in Edinburgh and was spoken to in a rude manner by a BMI employee when I checked in for my flight, the employee even threated to cancel by booking. I am disguisted at the way I was spoken to, especially since I was flying Business class. Has anyone had this happen to them and then complained to BMI. If so, what was the outcome? Should I bother to complain?, or, Does BMI not care about it's customers? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sep 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Well, I've never found anything other than courtesy - and the occasional bit of incompetence - from bmi.

But why did the employee threaten to cancel your flight? Is there something you're not telling us? Why "especially" should rudeness - if such there was - be worse in business class? And why, if you're sure you're 100% in the right are you wasting time asking us?
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Do you have the employee's name? If not, I don't think it would mean much to just say "one of your employees is rude." And while at first glance I thought flanneruk was being a little abrupt, now that I think about there is a question here.

At what point did the employee threaten to cancel your booking? Something had to happen here. I'm sure you didn't walk up to the counter and have him say, "I'm having a bad day, I'll think I'll cancel your booking."
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Well, actually, I encountered a pretty rude BMI supervisor at Heathrow last time we flew to Scotland. Out United flight from LA was late, but the United people at Heathrow made every effort to get those of us who were transferring to this particular BMI flight to the BMI check in desk asap. There were about a dozen of us, and the supervisor was very unsympathetic. Even my mother, who lives in Scotland, was taken aback by the attitude we encountered. Some people just don't belong in customer service jobs. They may be very efficient, but have no clue how to deal with the public. At one time I might have put it down in part to the idea of good service in the UK not being as important as it is in the US. However, just a week ago I talked to a reservation agent at GNER who was extremely helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Having said that, I do tend to agree with flanneruk that there is more to your story than you have told us. Even our little supervisor-on-a-power-trip didn't threaten to cancel our bookings! And I certainly do not expect less service because I have paid for five coach class seats instead of my employer/client, or the miles I have saved while travelling for my employer/client, paying for a busainess class seat.
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM

It does appear that there may be more to the story than what SWilliams is stating. Unless that employee doesn't mind his job being terminated I doubt that he'd just threaten to cancel the flight. In that case there's no point in complaining to BMI.

On the other hand, if there's a legitimate complaint, I'm sure that BMI will be very glad to hear about it.
Sep 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Interesting that SWilliams has posted an almost identical post on the US board about a rude Delta employee.
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I notice SWilliams has not responded also. So what's the deal?
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Probably thinks we're rude.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:50 PM

I don't think SWilliams believes we're rude - if you look at some of the other forums they all have posts in the same format "Recently in city X I was spoken to rudely by an AirlineY employee. Should I complain, do they care about their customers?"
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Intrepid

You're ALREADY complaining, and as usual, to people who can't make a bit of difference..what a waste of time this thread is.

Sep 18th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

I haven't had a chance to log in until today.
In response to what had happened in Edinburgh:- I had asked for a window seat, the BMI employee had told me that there were no window seats available. His attitude was "sit in this seat or you can go on the next available flight". He didn't even check on the computer what seats were availble. While I can understand that he may have been having a bad day, his attitude was uncalled for. Patrick- yes, I did get the employee's name.
In response to what happened in Boston with the Delta employee:- I had booked a flight with Delta (from Atlanta) over the phone. When the flight and payment arrangements were done over the phone the Delta employee told me that she would mail me a copy of my eticket. I explained to the employee that I was away and that I would not receive the eticket before I arrived in Atlanta. The Delta employee advised me to pick up the eticket at the nearest airport, since I was in Boston she looked up the terminal and hours of operation for the Delta ticketing counter.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:05 AM

SWilliams--I think I'm missing something. What did the Delta employee do that was so rude? Your post indicates that you were unable to receive the e-ticket copy at home so the agent went to some effort to provide info on how best to get the ticket at Logan. What's the complaint?
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Opps, that reply was sent before it was completed.
I when to the Delta counters at Logan airport and asked where I could pick up my eticket. An employee told me to go to the Delta Direct counters. I waited in line, when I got to the counter the employee refused to speak to me and told me that I should go to the check in counter if I wanted anything. I tried to explain to the Delta employee that I was not flying from Boston and that I was told to stand in this line. She told me that I was in the wrong line, when I told her who told me to wait in this line she responded by saying "I'm her boss". When I asked her for her name she refused to give it. I was able to get her name from her badge.
I have travelled around the world, and until now I have never had an experience like this. This was the first time I have flown BMI and Delta. Maybe, I should just keep flying American at least with my Platinium AAvantage membership I have never been treated the way I was treated by the BMI and Delta employee's.

PS - I should have mentioned that the BMI flight was overbooked.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:10 AM

It is not necessary to have the "e-ticket" for Delta flights, as long as you have the credit card that you charged the ticket to in your possession. When you arrive at the airport, wand your credit card at the automated kiosk and boarding passes will be printed for you. Also, even if you weren't home to receive your e-ticket, if you had access to email or the Internet, you could have obtained a copy of your itinerary via email and printed it anywhere. You also could have gone to Delta's website with your confirmation number and printed your boarding passes as long as you had access to a printer.

So, what was the problem with Delta>

Regarding BMI, although you wanted a window seat, did it ever occur to you that the BMI employee you encountered may have just looked for a window seat on the same flight for another passenger. For some airlines, a floor plan is used to show available seating, and it is quite possible that floor plan was on the employee's monitor at the time you had your encounter, showing either no available window seats, or better yet, that the flight was sold out.

Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted, does not necessarily mean that the employee was rude to you.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:15 AM

SWillams, you just said that the BMI flight that you were on was overbooked. So why did you think that you were going to be able to exchange the seat you were assigned to (non-window) to a window seat? Isn't it apparent that the BMI employee knew that the flight was overbooked, which is why your request wasn't granted? There was obviously nothing to look up in the computer, every seat was assigned.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

In response to the Delta complaint:- I was not able to use the internet to get a copy of my eticket, if I was able to do this I would have just booked to ticket on the internet.
As for BMI:- BMI wanted me to alter my travel plans because they over booked a flight, who overbooked the flight?
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I repeat:

"It is not necessary to have the "e-ticket" for Delta flights, as long as you have the credit card that you charged the ticket to in your possession. When you arrive at the airport, wand your credit card at the automated kiosk and boarding passes will be printed for you."

To add to this, you don't even need to have the confirmation number, all you need to have is the credit card that you used to pay for the ticket.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I am aware of this - the Delta employee on the phone advised me to pick up a copy before I got to Atlanta.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Swilliams, forgetting about the Delta flight ( I truly don't understand what was going on there; etickets simplify things--you just go and check in, usually), how did the conversatuon with the BMI employee escalate from "there isn't a a window seat available" (perfectly acceptable, it's a discount airline) to "they even threatened to cancel my booking"? There's a lot I'm not getting here to merit a complaint about someone's job performance.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Well, you still haven't told us how the BMI employee in Edinburgh threatened to cancel your booking. Suggesting you could take the next flight if a window seat is so important to you is not the same as threatening to cancel your ticket. If getting on a particular flight is critical to your travel plans, then get to the airport sooner.Aside from that, maybe you need to take a chill pill sometimes. Did it ever occur to you that it's probably pretty stressfull for the employees to have to deal with an overbooked flight - which they also are not responsible for. Or that he may have known the seating availability more intimately than he ever wanted to because other people like you may have been giving him attitude. I say "like you" because clearly, you were not making any effort to understand the problem and take what was available. Overbooked flights, especially on shuttles and short hops, seem to be the norm these days. None of us like it, but we all have to deal with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO