Blank Page Requirement in Passport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Italy and just realized that I don't have two completely blank pages in my passport. I have one completely blank page and the adjacent page has only 1 stamp and then there is another page that only has two stamps. In total there are enough spots to make up two pages, I just don't know how picky they are and the stamps never seem to be exactly in the squares. Does anyone know if this will be a problem when entering Italy?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:46 PM

Not in my experience. The Schengen passport control agents have been efficient about page usages so as not to use up pages in vain. Sometimes they squeeze in 5 stamps on a page. Schengen passport control are not like some SE Asian countries which require seemingly excessive number of blank pages.

I wish the US immigration agents would do the same. On several trips, they put stamps on the spine of the passport! That killed two adjacent blank pages in one shot!
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 11:16 PM

I've never actually had a problem with this, and even have had some customs agents not stamp at times or place some stamps over stamps. I don't think it will be an issue, unless someone wants to give you a hard time for some reason!
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 01:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I only have Arabic stamps in my passports, do Europeans still stamp?? If so, what for, since they will be referencing databases rather than putting ink on paper?
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I haven't been to Europe in 2 years or so, but they were still stamping then, at least the first country that you visited.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, they still stamp. No it will not be an issue.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last time we were in Italy they stamped the page but the stamper had no ink, so the page remained blank.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your passport doesn't expire for a few more years and you have more trips planned in that time frame, you can have blank pages added to your passport. But I wouldn't bother until you return from your upcoming trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Yes, Jean, for $82 you can get pages added - as long as you hurry and add them by the end of 2015, because the State Department is discontinuing this service:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2015/3/...are+Going+Away

or just renew it for $110. I'm tempted to renew my six-month-old passport now because, on my recent trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro, I crossed borders numerous times and I think I burned five or six pages already! I hate the picture anyway.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Do they still offer passports with extra pages?
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 02:42 PM

Hey Rosie7235!

Did you have any problems?? I am in the same dilemma and am very worried that I am going to get turned away!!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Weird first post, parentsi, topping a four year old post.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 03:15 PM

This is the only website that had a question specific to traveling to Italy.... So I am curious if she had any problems.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 04:12 PM

Parents, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, then we are pretty relaxed about travel. Never seen anyone have a problem. We go to Italy every fall, sometimes coming into Europe first from someplace else. We have few stamps that we can find. We also think they often have no ink, sometimes stamp over other stamps and basically see a US Passport (in our case) and just go through the motions. Once we flew into Venice, and the Passport guy seemed annoyed that we didn't just bypass his desk. The only odd thing was that we went through Paris last fall with our daughter (and then on tp Switzerland). We thought they stamped, but there was no sign of it on any of our passports. When our daughter returned to the Paris airport from Munich, they suggested they might not allow her entry into Paris because they could not observe any entry place on her Passport. She told them that was their problem and she would be happy to provide them flight emails, and they simply shrugged and motioned her through.

Last edited by whitehall; Feb 20th, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 04:39 PM
kja

@ parentsi2019: If you are about to go to Italy and do NOT have the requisite number of blank pages, you might want to contact both (a) your state department and (b) the Italian embassy in the country where you live. No matter how well intentioned, t's one thing for someone to offer anecdotes and tell you not to worry; it's quite another to face the consequences if there are any.

Last edited by kja; Feb 20th, 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by kja
@ parentsi2019: If you are about to go to Italy and do NOT have the requisite number of blank pages, you might want to contact both (a) your state department and (b) the Italian embassy in the country where you live. No matter how well intentioned, t's one thing for someone to offer anecdotes and tell you not to worry; it's quite another to face the consequences if there are any.
Of course, I didn’t tell YOU not to worry. I said I wouldn’t worry. I think you know the answer the authorities will give you. If you have time, get a new passport. I personally have found that Italian passport officials seem to give US passport a quick approval. In all our years of travel, I have never seen one look for extra blank pages, and I have never seen an airline take notice of not enough blank pages. Once an airline almost didn’t board us because of an upcoming Passport expiration date, but we showed them online that the country we were going to was more lenient than they thought, and that was that. If you are wearing a MAGA hat, and the officer doesn’t like Trump, who knows. Things can be subjective.

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 08:25 PM
kja

Originally Posted by whitehall
I have never seen [a passport official] look for extra blank pages
Seems that we have had different travel experiences. Fortunately, I've always made sure to have the requisite number of blank pages, so I don't know what would have happened if I didn't.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 09:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had Border Control/Immigration look for blank pages more times than not . . .
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:48 AM

Been traveling for almost 40 years now. Never knew you had to have a requisite number of blank pages in your passport. When did that happen?
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Holly_uncasdewar
Been traveling for almost 40 years now. Never knew you had to have a requisite number of blank pages in your passport. When did that happen?
It has been a requirement in many, if not most, countries all over the world. And, it has been for many, many years. Italy requires two blank pages, supposedly to allow for incoming and possibly outgoing stamps. That is one of the reasons US used to sell extra blank pages, but now require new Passports to get them, as I understand. But, is it enforced? It might be there, but I have not found online one instance where anyone, at least with a US Passport, ever claimed to be turned away in any European country including Italy, the destination of the person asking the question. Although when this thread started three years ago, no one indicated that this was ever a problem then, two posters above now claim they are regularly examined for blank pages. Hard to believe based on my own regular travels to Europe. Have you ever seen an airline or border agent look for your blank pages?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -