Two Week Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning our two week honeymoon in Italy for August 2014 (I know, not the best time of year to travel, but he's a teacher so it was the only time we could get married). This is my first trip outside the US, while he has been to Rome before. He is a wine lover, so incorporating a tour of at least some of Italy's vineyards are a must. I'd like to see the major sites, but also don't want to spend our honeymoon fighting hordes of tourists so am open to any suggestions more off the beaten path.

To maximize our time, we would probably fly into/out of different airports. We've talked about visiting all or some combination of the following areas, but are open to other suggestions:
-Venice
-Florence
-Tuscany
-Cinque Terre (or another coastal area)
-Rome

We would love some suggestions of how to arrange our itinerary, how long to stay in each city given our two week time frame, and the best way to travel between cities (train vs car). Suggestions of where we might stay are also appreciated-I think we'd prefer B&B's or even private apartments over hotels.

Thank you!
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 04:52 PM

Given that it will be hot, hot,hot in Italy at that time,
consider the Italian Alps in the north and or the Lakes
(Garda, Como etc.). These are beautiful areas and if you have a car, you could drive to hiking areas, boating areas etc.
From the lakes, you can even take a train into Switzerland for
the day or to Milan.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM

Sorry - but in August all of the places you have named will not only be packed but also most likely very hot and humid. You could not pay me to go to those places in August.

Agree that you should head for the lakes and mountains in the north - which will have less hellish weather and will be possibly slightly less crowded. From there I wld spend some time in German or Austria. If you must do August at least so a place with reasonable weather.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:01 AM

With two weeks I would focus on three to four places max, otherwise you will spend more time in transit than seeing stuff. I personally like to spend a week in each place. You will see as much, just not as many different places. It gives you time to relax and enjoy leisurely lunches and dinners without worrying about trying to pack everything in.

In Aug be sure that your hotels have air con, or in the countryside, a pool.

I would fly into Pisa and rent a car and agriturismo with a pool for a week and visit the vineyards and small towns of Tuscany (actually you may want to think about a less touristy area like Umbria or Le Marche) and the head to Rome for a week. You could do your sightseeing in the mornings, have a long lunch then a siesta when it is frightfully hot, and then go out again the late afternoon when it cools down.

If you want some ideas you can read our trip reports by clicking my name and scrolling down to trip reports. They include our photos of the Dolomites and Le Marche etc.

Happy planning!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than Tuscany or Umbria, I'd consider the wine are of the Piemonte. Much more comfortable temps and a lovely area in its own right.

I would skip Rome and stay north. Fly into Venice, visit one of the lakes, explore Piemonte with a car, fly out of Milan or Turin.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM

The time you have available is August, so no point complaining about the heat, just make sure your hotels have a/c, drink lots of water (or wine) and accept it. You can sightsee in the mornings, take a siesta after lunch and go out in the evenings for a stroll and dinner.
There are wine regions all over Italy.
I'd check flights first, decide what makes sense for you to fly into and out of and then plan a trip that doesn't have you doubling back.
Ex. fly into Florence, spend a night/day in town, rent a car and spend several days at an agriturismo, exploring the small towns and wineries in the region.
Then drive north to the lakes region (Piedmont) relax for a few days, take a boat across the lake, drive into the mountains, or even to Switzerland or Germany and then fly out of Milan.
Remember, every time you move, you'll spend time checking in and out, getting settled, etc.
Make the most of your time by having a base, or two, and doing day trips from there.
What a wonderful trip! Have fun.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As others say you have chosen the hotest busiet time. You need to limit your time. If it were me I might look at a more relaxed trip with smaller towns. So for example you could stay at a vinyard (with pool) in the Euganian hills just outside Padua and catch the train into Venice to endure the crowds. After a few days move to St Gimignano and book into a similar and hack over to Florence or Siena for a look at the glories and the crowds.

Rome, in August, find the best hotel you can afford with a pool and dig in.

If you don't like crowds try larger German cities as they will all be in the south.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

I agree with the suggestion to avoid Italy in August except for the Lakes Region and the mountains in the north... and add neighboring Switzerland, which has absolutely gorgeous summer weather.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Hi Fellow Travellers,

To piggyback on this thread. My girlfriend and I are also planning our honeymoon for Italy this year. Our itinerary is very simlar to the original poster. However, we are planning on going in September (the first two weeks).

My current thoughts are to fly into Tuscany and stay in a villa for the week. We would then do a couple of day trips to visit Florence and Sienna. After this week, we would return the car and head south to Rome, and then on to Napoli and the Amalfi coast. Flying home to the UK from Napoli.

Is the heat really unbearable at this time of year? I have visited Milan, Como and Venice before, so I wanted to head south. Do you think we need a car for the south, or is the Amalfi coast accessible by public transport?

Your suggestions greatly appreciated!

Tim
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 05:54 AM

laura: Now, don't get me wrong. I love Italy. But are you locked in to going there? I like the suggestion about Germany (lots of wineries there, too) in the summer. Better temps, smaller crowds. Maybe you could finish your trip in the Como area or Venice.

timbo: You probably don't want or need a car on the AC. You can get to Sorrento by train and then to other towns on the AC, such as Positano, by bus.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 06:40 AM

I'm going to answer the question about the heat in Italy. Yes, it's very hot in the Summer. But no hotter than the U.S. South.

The difference is that U.S. air conditioning is much better. There are also government regulations in many places in Italy about how hotels run their a/c systems. I've seen motion detectors and timers in hotels to keep their a/c from running 24/7.

August is when Europeans go on vacation--for the whole month. During that month, I'd be traveling Bavaria, Western Tyrol in Austria and perhaps dip down to Venice for a day or two.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 06:40 AM

A car on the AC is fine - in MAY when we go. In the middle of the summer you will just be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic - much of it tour buses or the mobbed local SITA buses.

If you do this (and the beaches are NOT great - mostly pebbles or even rocks - not broad pure white sand beaches with pounding surf - we have the North Atlantic and are spoiled in NY)) but the area is pretty - stay in a place with good ferry service and train if possible (but that means Sorrento - it doesn't go any farther)to avoid wasting time in traffic.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 07:54 AM

My rought itinery looks something like the below. The first week is all based around a relaxing time in a villa (near San Gimignano), whilst the second week will be a bit more touristy.

01-Sep Fly to Pisa, rent car. Drive to villa.
02-Sep
03-Sep Florence day trip
04-Sep
05-Sep Sienna day trip
06-Sep
07-Sep Visit Orvieta (maybe return car). Train to Rome.
08-Sep Rome tourism
09-Sep Train to Naples
10-Sep AC
11-Sep AC
12-Sep Return to Naples
13-Sep Fly back to UK.

As you can see, the second week is looking a little rougher at the moment. I really need some sound advice here. If you think it's too long, I can go home earlier.

I've also read that the Val d'Orcia is beautiful to visit, is this a feasible day trup from San Gimignano? I only pencilled in driving there as it may save on time to do it on the way to returning our hire car.

Can anyone recommend some affordable one-way car rental agencies? ALternatively, we can return it to Pisa and get the train to Rome from there. Thanks again!
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 08:35 AM

When the OP and husband arrive in Pisa after a long, overnight flight, they will be sleepy, jet-lagged and disoriented, not a good state in which to drive a strange car in a strange country.

However, timbo is just coming from the UK. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'd park the car and take a train into Florence. Your alternatives are to park on the outskirts and try to find you way in by bus or taxi. Or park more centrally and run the risk of stumbling into a ZTL, locals-only driving zone. Likely and expensive.

I don't think your trip is too long, I thinks it's too short. Rome is full of stuff to see; I'd set aside a minimum of 4 days/5 nights, just for a first visit. And then the AC area has a lot too: Pompeii and Herculaneum, Capri, Sorrento, Paestum, Naples. Maybe as this is your honeymoon, concentrate on the beautiful relaxing places, skip Rome.

Agree you don't want a car on the AC. And San Gimignano is not too far from the Val d'Orcia, maybe 1.5 hours. Lovely area in which to drive.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM

@Mimar

Thanks for your response. Looking into options, I think I can rent a car from Pisa, and return to Florence for minimal extra cost. I would then get the high speed train to Rome.

I'm well travelled, but don't agree with crowds of tourists at major sites, so Rome has never appealed to me. My partner and everyone else says different though!

How about this for a new itinerary:
01-Sep Fly to Pisa, rent car. Drive to villa.
02-Sep
03-Sep Sienna day trip
04-Sep
05-Sep Drive around Val d'Orcia
06-Sep Return to Florence
07-Sep Evening train to Rome
08-Sep
09-Sep Evening train to Salerno
10-Sep AC
11-Sep AC
12-Sep Return to Naples
13-Sep Fly back to UK.

I think if we head straight to Salerno from Rome, we can then work our way back along the coast to Naples and then return to the UK.

Am I better off staying 1 night in Florence, and 2 in Rome, or vice-versa? I guess it's a balance of crowds/sites/value.
Cheers!
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 07:52 AM

Yes, that looks like a good itinerary given your priorities. Dip your toe into Rome and maybe you won't find it so bad. Yes, there are lots of tourists, but there are also lots of sights and lots of space. Florence's center and Venice, both with smaller areas and more concentrated sights, will be very crowded.

You'll enjoy your time in Tuscany.

On the AC, I'd pick only one base town, not move around. If you're coming from Salerno, then Amalfi town makes sense. The bus up to Ravello leaves from there.

There will still be a fair number of tourists on the AC in early September. But also the maximum choice of ferry routes/times. (Depending how late your train arrives in Salerno, you could take a ferry to Amalfi.)

Congratulations on your marriage, and have a great honeymoon in bella Italia!
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in here as I am planning a two week honeymoon for my fiance and I in June to tour Italy as well. I have heard a lot of the same as the above posters - trying to hit all of the spots you've outlined might be a bit too much. Here is our tentative itinerary:

6/9 Day One: land at 10 AM, check in to hotel in Rome
6/10 Day Two: Rome - Vatican City
6/11 Day Three: Rome - Colosseum, Pantheon, etc.
6/12 Day Four: Rome train to Florence, check in to hotel, bop around
6/13 Day Five: Florence
6/14 Day Six: Florence to Montalcino
6/15 Day Seven: Montalcino - wine tasting/tour
6/16 Day Eight: Montalcino to Naples (we're renting a car and driving down the coast, with time to spot once or twice if we want), drop car off in Naples and meet private driver to Positano
6/17 Day Nine: Positano
6/18 Day Ten: Positano - day trip to Laurito Beach - lunch at Da Adolfo
6/19 Day Eleven: Positano - day trip to Capri
6/20 Day Twelve: Positano - trip to Pompeii
6/21 Day Thirteen: driver from Positano to Naples train, train to Rome
6/22 Day Fourteen: head to the Rome airport, fly back to Philadelphia

Hope that helps! If you're still looking for hotels I can also tell you where we've booked if you're interested.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do NOT miss Venice. I've been only twice (and both times happened to be in August and it was fine). I just can't imagine an Italian honeymoon without Venice on the itinerary!
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM

laura- I have been to Italy many times (and headed back in April), but never in August.

That being said, I wouldn't give up one day in Italy to go somewhere else. It depends on where you are from, as to whether or not you will find it unbearable. I live in Texas. Rome would seem cool to me in August.

I would fly into Rome and work northward, so you end your honeymoon on a more relaxed note.

I would suggest:

Day 1-4 Rome- Train to Florence. It is 90 minutes on the bullet train. Safe, affordable, relaxing and fast.

Day 5-9 Stay in Florence, but plan a day trip to Siena. The express bus is your best option. Leaves regularly from the bus station in the heart of Florence. Takes 60 minutes to get to Siena. Take the express bus back at the end of the day.

Option during your Florence stay is to arrange for a driver for one or two days to take you into different areas for wine-tasting. Perhaps a day in Chianti and a day in Montelcino/Montepulciano or Pienza. There are plenty of wineries in both areas, and since that seems to be something you really want to do, that is a good option. I can highly recommend Luca Garrapa of hillsandroads.com. Or your hotel can also probably make some recommendations. (As well as more research here.) To me, this is not inexpensive, but it has its advantages. Your driver speaks English and Italian, knows the lay of the land, how to drive on those hilly roads, has relationships with the wineries, etc. More relaxing for you- you can drink as much wine as you want- you are not driving.

On day 9, you can train to Venice. It is about 2 hours by bullet train. In Venice, you can buy a vaporetto pass that allows you on all the water buses. You can visit Murano and/or Burano. Or you can take a lovely day trip to Verona (after all, it's your honeymoon, and Verona was the supposed home of Juliette!)

All possibilities. I think this would be a good trip. But that is just my opinion. You are going to have crowds wherever you go. Take a Xanax or just have more wine!

Fly home from Venice. Buon viaggio! And best wishes on your forthcoming nuptials!
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 12:30 PM

PS Be smart and read reviews for hotels/apartments and make sure they have A/C. (I can bear the heat during the daylight, but at night, I like to be cool!)

Also, in Venice, try to stay in Cannaregio or Dorsoduro, away from the main area of the city. It is crowded and noisy in center, and the Cannaregio and Dorsoduro districts will tend to be quieter.

If Venice is not a must, then I'd consider taking the train from Florence to Milan and heading on out to Lake Como for the remainder of your trip. Fly home from Milan.

I absolutely adore Venice, any time. As long as you keep in mind that she will not be at her best in August, you hopefully can still fall in love with her. She is a one-of-a-kind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -