Birthday in Sevilla - How to celebrate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend will be turning 30-something while we're in Sevilla, and I'd like to help make it truly memorable. We've both worked in restaurants/catering, so know and love our food and wine. Also like to go out and dance or see a band every now and again; salsa or jazz would be more our style as opposed to house or techno.<BR><BR>Should I make a dinner reservation (budget would be about 60E each, without wine)? Or just take her on a tapas crawl? I've saved threads re restaurants in Sevilla, but specific suggestions here are welcome.<BR><BR>We're staying in the barrio Santa Cruz (at the Amadeus!) but will take a cab if there's somewhere special that's in another area. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:36 AM
rex

Topping, for Lesli - - and glad to see that the indexing of database (i.e., this particular post) has been updated SINCE it was posted at 11:40 last night. Readily retrievable by searching on &quot;Lesli&quot;.<BR><BR>Keep up the good work, Fodors.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Hi Lesli,<BR>Here's what I'd love to do for my birthday:<BR><BR>Go for drinks to the courtyard of Sevilla's grande dame neo-Mud&eacute;jar Alfonso XIII hotel, then cross the street for dinner at elegant Ega&ntilde;a Oriza, attached to the ancient walls of the gardens of the Alc&aacute;zar, near Murillo park and across from the 18th c Antigua F&aacute;brica de Tabacos building of the opera Carmen fame. The cuisine is Basque (virtual guarantee of quality), the airy winter garden/conservatory dining room just lovely, the wine list extensive, the service smooth, the desserts/homemade ice creams yummy. Friends who live in Sevilla have taken us there for special occasions. It's within your price range, walkable from the Amadeus, and you can reserve at [email protected]<BR>(The Albahaca, in a lovely mansion on the beautiful Plaza de Santa Cruz in the Barrio de Santa Cruz, is also quite nice as is the Taberna del Alabadero, also Basque, downtown on Zaragoza, but for me, E.O. holds the edge).<BR>Then for music, I'd head back into the Barrio<BR>Santa Cruz to La Carboner&iacute;a on Levies 18 behind the Santa Mar&iacute;a la Blanca church-close to the Amadeus. It's a sprawling converted coal yard converted into a concert har and series of small bars with a chimney and stone floors plus patio in back. Multiple concerts per evening, including flamenco. It's smokey and crowded (be forewarned!), always lively with an eclectic mix of locals, students and tourists. I think there may be blues and swing performed on Wed. and Sat. Have the Amadeus check the schedule. It's free entry and open til 3:30-4 a.m.<BR><BR>For an evening tapas crawl, I'd cross the Guadalquivir River on the Puente San Telmo over to the Triana district. There I'd start at La Albariza on Calle Betis 6 (st. facing the river). It has chalk white walls, terracotta floors and sherry casks as tables, hanging hams-42 varieties of tapas. It's chic. Then I'd move on to others that look appealing. Maybe Bodega Siglo XVIII on Pelay Correa 32, which I haven't tried-an 18th c wine cellar filled with antiques and Moorish tiles or next door at Bar Bistec. Or just sit on a terraza, like Mar&iacute;a Angeles, at the Isabel II bridge and admire the views of the Giralda and Torre de Oro. Then check out the other myriad bars around Betis for nightlife. There's flamenco in its pure form performed by the owner at Casa Anselma (go after midnight) on the corner of Calle Pag&eacute;s del Corro and Antillano Campos in Triana.<BR>On another night you might enjoy a flamenco &quot;floor show&quot; at one of these tablaos: Los Gallos across from La Albahaca in the Barrio or El Arenal (Olga says it's best), Book the late show.<BR><BR>About salsa-you might try El Salsaya on the river. <BR>Also check to see what's performing at the Teatro la Maestranza (opera, symphony) during your stay.<BR>www.teatromaestranza.com<BR>Now, I'll let Olga give you her favorite &quot;insider&quot; haunts.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:27 AM
aj

Maribel,<BR><BR>I really enjoyed reading your reply. We are going to be in Seville May 9 - 13 reading your suggestions makes me even more excited. This will be our first trip to Spain. I am thinking of the Amadeus. Do you have any information on Hotel Van Gogh. The price is good and the location looks good?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM

<BR>Dear Lesli, <BR><BR>I agree with Maribel wholeheartedly in everything. Some other ideas:<BR><BR>-Corral del Agua restaurant, also in Santa Cruz, walking distance from the Amadeus. Belongs to the same company as the Albahaca. The difference is the food and ambiance at Albahaca are a bit more upscale, but for the month of May you can't beat a table at the beautiful little courtyard of the Corral. <BR><BR>-Combining the Triana district riverside tapas crawl with a rivercruise at dusk. Hotels sell tickets, an hour cruise is 12 Euros.<BR><BR>-Finish the evening with a little bar/club hopping, at the clubs that line the northern area of the riverfront. If weather is warm enough, the outdoor clubs might have opened for an early summer season.<BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:00 AM

aj,<BR>I'm sorry but I'm not personally familiar with the Van Gogh. <BR>That's really Olga's dept, (hi Olga-sure glad you've registered!) because she knows of all the Seville accomodations, being in the hotel business.<BR><BR>I see the listing in my Time Out Andalucia guide. The location between the cathedral and the Alc&aacute;zar is good for walking everywhere, and it has A/C, which is extremely important in the summer.<BR>The Footprint Andaluc&iacute;a guide says one should ask for a room with balcony with views of the cathedral/Giralda. It would be a prime viewing spot for the Holy Week processions. There's another member to this mini hostal chain besides the Van Gogh and the Picasso-the Dal&iacute; that apparently opened last summer (?)<BR><BR>The Amadeus has received some really good recent reviews here, although it's tough to reach it by car. It depends on whether you want a small, cute, family owned, newish hotel in an 18th c building prettily decorated with antiques and a musical theme, tucked into a tiny street in the romantic Santa Cruz quarter, or if you prefer to save some euros with the hostal option. It all depends on what appeals most.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:33 AM
aj

Maribel,<BR><BR>Thanks for the info! I am really excited.<BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:01 PM

My husband stayed in the Van Gogh last August. Said it was a real dump, but the a/c worked and the bathroom was clean.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! Now I have to make decisions between them all; we may have to incorporate a couple of these ideas into other days of our stay! Do any of these restaurants call for reservations more than a few days in advance? If not, I may take a look at a couple when we arrive and make my final decision then. <BR><BR>Again, thank you so much Maribel and Olga!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:00 AM

<BR>You are most welcome, Lesli. I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time in Seville. It's definitely the best time of the year to be in the city.<BR><BR>You're fine reserving the restaurants once you get to town. Most people reserve just the day of.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:03 AM

<BR>I forgot to tell you also to check the Giraldillo magazine when you get to Seville. It's our version of the TimeOut guide or the Guia del Ocio in Madrid and it lists all the month's events, concerts, art exhibits, and so forth which you might also consider for that special night. Most hotels and cafes distribute it for free.