Birthday in Athens

Apr 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Birthday in Athens

My son will turn 15 whilst we are in Athens. His birthday is a Saturday night. Any suggestions ? He likes the idea of some plate smashing .
Apr 5th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Well, I don't think you can find plate smashing places in Greece anymore. That was a -really peculiar- habit during the '80s and '90s.
However,you can visit "flower-throwing" live scenes with folk music. Romeo is such a place in Elliniko. You could use the map in this link.
http://www.athinorama.gr/nightlife/d...es/?id=5001215

http://cruisinggreeece.blogspot.com
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM

Any restaurant that offers plate smashing is sure to be a tourist trap. Your son might end up in the kitchen washing the dishes he didn't break!
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:21 AM

You could start the night out with a drink atop the Gran Bretagne Hotel with its fabulous view (which is even more amazing when it is dark) and then move on. Sorry I can't help with where to eat that would please a young man.
Apr 5th, 2011, 04:38 AM

An afternoon or (very) late night of rembetika music at the Stoa Athanaton in the central market building? Ask your hotel to call for reservations. When I went with my college-aged daughter a few years ago, we were the only non-Greeks in the place. Very festive.

My understanding is that you are no longer allowed to break plates, but that people throw flowers instead.