Birmingham afternoon-evening

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of this month, I have a solo business trip to the Birmingham area. On the day before my flight back, I have the late afternoon and evening free, as I won't be flying out until the next morning. By then, I will have already returned my rental car, so I'm looking for something fun to do near the airport. I'm open to taking a taxi if the destination is truly worthwhile (even as a solo traveler). Do you have any recommendations? I saw something about The Bear Grylls Adventure, though it seems more like an activity suited for groups.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't see how the BG Adventure is even an option since it closes at 5PM (unless this is a Friday - 7PM) but no, it definitely is not limited to groups. The National Motorcycle Museum is quite close to the airport -- it closes at 5:30PM.

Resorts World have about 15 or 20 different restaurants and bars plus things like bowling and a movie theatre -- and is right next to BHX.
Old May 5th, 2024, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Resorts World seems to be a good suggestion. Indeed, opening hours are definitely something to take into account. Maybe I am a bit early around 4PM, but otherwise Resorts World sounds like an option worth exploring.
Old May 7th, 2024, 12:09 AM

I lived in the centre of Birmingham for a while a few years ago and know it fairly well. It is a fantastic city in which to spend a day or two. We still return for the odd weekend now and again. The area around the airport is not particularly inspiring and in the absence of finding any suitable activities there and if you are not spending any time in the city and can change your hotel booking and cant find any suitable activities, I would consider heading to the city to stay there. A train from Birmingham International to Grand Central take 15 mins and a hotel around The Mailbox or Brindleyplace areas would put you in the heart the canal system with lots of restaurant , walks along the tow path and probably a few activities. If you haven't already found it , you may find a few ideas here @ https://visitbirmingham.com/inspire-...as/city-centre
Old May 8th, 2024, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely try to adjust the plans and hotel to visit more of the city.