Search

Birmingham

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birmingham

I will be in Birmingham with my husband, however, he will be giving a 3 day class, and I will be on my own. Please give me some suggestions of what a single woman can do, besides shop. LOL
Also, does anyone know of any day trips that might take me out of the city, to some smaller towns? I love to sightsee, but really would like some type of guided tour since I am on my own.
Thanks, Cindy
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I'm too scared to tackle the first part of your question, but as to the second, DO take a day trip, on your own, by train, to Stratford. See a matinee (if it's summer) or have your husband join you at night to see a play.

You'll love it.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM

What are your interests?

Have you seen this for Brum itself:

http://www.birmingham.org.uk/

In Birmingham you are very close to both Stratford-on-Avon (Shakespeare) and Warwick (castle, church, nice small town), and not far from Oxford (sightseeing bus in city) with good train services to all of them. Worcester and Lichfield (cathedrals) are also close with good train services.

Googling those places will give you an idea of what's on offer in them.

Being fairly central in England Brum is blessed with reasonable rail links to a number of places - even York is only two hours away.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stratford, Warwick, Kenilworth and GREAT shopping in B'ham itself. All very easy from B'ham and all very easy to do on your own.

Also check out Royal Leamington Spa - a lovely town near Warwick and sort of "Bath/Tunbridge Wells-ish".

http://www.royal-leamington-spa.co.uk/
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will check out all these suggestions.
Cindy
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Birmingham also has an excellent museum in the city centre with a fine collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings, as well as collections that reflect its industrial heritage (glass, pottery, ironwork etc). See http://www.bmag.org.uk/

I've not visited it yet, but Birmingham also has a Jewellery Quarter, including a Jewellery Museum, which looks worth a visit to combine shopping and history.

The tourist office is near New Street Station and I'm sure they can let you know of guided day trips to the towns mentioned. But as others have said, they are straightforward to visit on your own.

You might enjoy a trip to Cadbury World (depends on how much you like Cadbury's chocolate!)