Bill's SW England and Wales Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally completed my travel journal for SW England and Wales. It can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_wales_2004/

Bill
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Bill, I just read the entire thing. Delightful! Your commentary is entertaining and your photos are gorgeous. What kind of camera were you using?

My mom and I are going to England in Sept. We've got 2 days with friends in Birmingham and then 2 days before we have to be in London. We were debating a quick spin through either North Wales, South Wales or Devon/Cornwall. What was your favorite leg of the trip? We don't hike as much as you apparently do but enjoy history/culture/local interaction as opposed to crowded tourist towns, shopping and beaches. (For example, I agree with your assessment of Killarney and much prefer Dingle.)

Thanks for any input,

Karen
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Ani

Lovely! You did a great job...my husband and I have our photo on the same bridge at Beaumaris...LOVED that place!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Karen:

Glad you liked the report. I went all digital this time and used my minolta Dimage A1. It worked well and I like most of the features. The one thing I can warn about is using the "high speed film" settings. The photos come out terribly grainy.

I think it would be hard to see much of the areas you suggested in two days. You would spend much of your day driving and little of it sightseeing. Devon and Cornwall would be way too far.

As far as which was my favorite, that's tough. I loved the hospitality of Cornwall, and the nights playing music in the pubs was great. NW Wales was absolutley beautiful. You can't stumble and not hit your head on a castle in Wales so if you are looking for castles, Wales is wonderful. There are lots of quaint little villages in Devon filled with thatched houses and are a joy to visit. Everyone seems to associate thatched houses with Ireland, but it seemed as if Devon and Cornwall really have a corner on the market. The good news is that September is a pretty good time to travel to avoid the worst of the crowds, the later the better.

I'll visit them all again as soon as I have a chance, but for now, I need to go back to Ireland.

What ever you do, have fun!

Bill
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ani. I wish I had more time to spend on the Isle of Anglesey. Next time perhaps.

Bill
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Hi Bill...

Took a quick look at your journal and can't wait to have more time to really go through it! It looks wonderful. You did a great job putting it together.

I'm especially interested because in October I will be heading to Cornwall and mid Wales. I'll be doing self catering and staying in Looe in Cornwall!!!

THANKS!!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Bill,

Your travel journal is excellent and so well done. Your photos bought back lots of memories.

Due to a flight delay you remarked that you arrived closer to noon which you liked. When St. Louis had direct flights to London a later landing time was not an option for me. Right now I am trying to decide about connecting thru Chicago or RDU. I can choose a later landing time if I connect thru Chicago. Would you choose the later landing time based on your experience?

Sandy
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

ginny:

You'll love Cornwall and Wales. Both are beautiful and friendly. When in Looe, be sure to wander over to Polperro. Despite it's poularity with tourists, it's a beautiful town, Getting there early in the day is wonderful. If the weather is nice, take a boat ride along the coast. It's a wonderful place.

Sandy:

That's an interesting question. I was surprised that I like the late arrival and of course, as I sat in my seat watching the snow fall in Denver, I wasn't particularly thrilled. None-the-less, I woke up at what was about noon London time so the day didn't seem particularly long. I always try to make sure I don't have a whole lot planned for the first day and try to make it relaxing so that I acclamate to the time change. It seemed to work pretty well and my wife, who is usually a wreck the second day, was fine.

Many try to get a big day in the first day which may work fine for them. They arrive so excited they can't sleep. I understand that, but my excitement usually wears off as soon as I sit in a car for and hour or two. Again, that's me and others react differently.

I usually choose my flights by price, so beggars can't be choosy, but if I had it to do again, I would probably choose the slightly later arrival.

Hope this helps. I hope you both have a fantastic time when you go!

Bill
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Thanks Bill!!! Oh, I definitely plan on getting to Polperro!!! That's what got me interested in the Cornwall area in the first place!!!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:50 PM

I will read this in its entirety when dinner is over..
I love it so far, the Yankee would sympathize, I always get into conversations with strangers and end up knowing waay more about them than I should~
Great photos!! I love that Mill House
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:19 PM

I kind of followed Bill's itinerary around Ireland's northwest last year, and will take the southwest tour in October, also following many of his suggestions. I can't wait to tell my husband we are going back to England next year!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Bill, your trip report and pictures are great. I really enjoyed reading it all.
It certainly brought back memories of driving the very narrow roads in Cornwall with the very high hedges. I found it much more nerve wracking than Ireland.
I'm glad you enjoyed Polperro and I'm glad you took a boat tour. We loved it. We had a wonderful time all through shothwest England and Wales and loved it, BUT really want to return to Ireland too!!
Thanks for the wonderful report.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Bill:

I am interested in reading some of your other travel journals - how may I do this?

Thank you.

Sandy
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi all. Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Scarlett: yes, the conversations on planes can get weird. That's why I like to sit next to the window. Not that i don't like to converse, but 9 hours is a long time to keep it going and I REALLY need my beauty sleep.

Allison and ginny. Consider visiting the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall. It has much less tourism, and wonderful people. For a great session, try the Top House in Lizard on Monday night or the or the Cadgwith Cove Inn on Tuesday night. Wonderful atmosphere and well worth a terrifying drive down the little dark roads at night. I'm thinking of staying in one of those little towns next time around. Allison, I think we are doing the northern half of Ireland next May. I can't wait.

kodi: When I saw the boats waiting I remembered your advice and it wasn't a hard decision to make. Thanks for the great help. It was an amazingly calm trip on almost glass like water.

OK, Sandy, you've twisted my arm, here's the links to my other two pages.

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2002/index.htm

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2003/

I love getting these pages done, because the we get these conversations going and it takes me right back to the trip. Ahh, to be back there ...

Bill
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Bill,

What a great report and great photos!!! Wales has been elevated to my short list.

I've bookmarked it for when I have time to thoroughly enjoy it.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Hey Budman, glad you liked it. I think you would really like Wales. Nice slow paced attitude there with spectacular scenery. There are some great places to get away from the crowds.

Bill
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Thanks again Bill for your advice! I certainly appreciate it! The Lizard Peninsula sounds like something I'd enjoy!!! I'm the driver on the trips and have driven many a dark scary little road...lol...they are all over the place over there...lol!!!