family trip June

Jul 30th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

family trip June

We have 2 teenagers 15 and 13 travelling on our first Italian visit. Venice and Cinque Terre are two highlights we are looking forward to. We'd like to be near Florence for a week to leisurely visit the country-side as well as have access to Florence. I would appreciate recommendations for a base near Florence.
Thanks.
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:20 AM

We did a similar trip with two teens in '00. Many folks use Sienna as a base to go into Florence. I have heard it is better and faster to take the BUS into Fl, rather than the train, but you should check on that. Parking difficult in Fl.

I loved Sienna, and would make it a stop, even if you don't use it as a base. We stayed at a convent (clean, inexpensive, close to everything). We found it in the book, Bed and Blessings.

Will you have your own car, or are you using trains??? Email me if you have other questions.
EK
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi,

You might want to consider Fiesole, a small town in the hills above Florence. It has bus service into the city.
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:48 AM

Two "problems" (for some) with rail service to Florence are

1) the train station is at the bottom of the hill below the town so you either have to take a short city bus ride or a taxi to get to it; the bus station is apparently closer to "downtown" Siena.

2) The train trip takes about 1 1/2 hours as I recall which may, or may not, involve a change in Empoli.

The train ride is through countryside and rather relaxing IMO. Regardless, I would not advise driving into Florence if you don't have to and I also think Ira's recommendation might work out better for you if you want to be really close to Florence without being right in the thick of things.

Have a wonderful trip.
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice re bus vs car vs train into Florence. We were going get a car in Florence after arrving by train from Venice to use for the week in the country-side. We were going to use the train again to reach CT, then on to Milan, again by train. Should we consider renting a car for entire stay in Italy ( approx. 2 weeks) ?
Jul 30th, 2004, 06:35 PM

depends how much "getting around" you want to do once you have spent your week in the countryside. Car is a hassle in CT, and any big city in Europe....so I favor your original idea....the car for the week.
EK

Search this Thread