Bilbao or skip it

Search

Bilbao or skip it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilbao or skip it

Our itinerary is set. I only now am rethinking not staying in Bilbao the two nights (June 3-5) and going to somewhere more "charming" between Haro and Lekeitio. We are driving up from Haro, luncheon at Etxebarri Friday the 3 and imagine something more than going to Bilbao. We staying in Lekeitio June 5-8 after which we drive to San Sebastian for a week.

I think the newness of Bilbao is turning my thoughts. I encourage you to enlist my patience and experience Bilbao or you will suggest an alternate 2 night stop.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I loved Bilbao...thought it a great town. we only spent 2 nights there and I would have enjoyed an extra day or so.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM

I'd stick with Bilbao. You have a small village experience with Lekeitio and also a week in San Sebastian. There's really so much to do in Bilbao that 2 nights will fly by. If on the off chance you don't like the city you can easily take daytrips to nearby places: Bermeo, Portugalete, Vitoria, etc... And I love Bilbao at night. Bilbao also doesn't feel like a big city. Public transportation is great but it's also very walkable.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Another vote for Bilbao. I was there for just one night a few years ago and I've been trying to get back!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Oh yeah, stay in Bilbao. It really is a very cool city with lots of fun things to do at night. The guide books don't do it justice at all.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Shh..I cannot grasp what has has possessed me other than my love for the off the beaten path. My husband and i such lovers of the unique that the stay in Madrid and Barcelona seem to be the quota for "big city." I would like to know "why" we would go to Bilbao. Nuts..I feel as if I am complaining or whining
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM

<i>I think the newness of Bilbao is turning my thoughts.</i>

When we were in Bilbao, the 18th cent. center part was being renovated; and I do not consider anything before 1920 as new. The center of town is really turn of the 19th-20th cent. from what I remember.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57623190654780
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:06 AM

I understand enjoying a trek off the beaten path. But if this is your first visit to an area I think you really need to visit the highlights. For example, on a first vist to Andalucia as much as I love Priego de Cordoba I wouldn't recommend visiting in lieu of Granada. Even with a base in Bilbao you can easily steer yourself away from the main tourist areas - for example with a visit to the Puente Colgante. When we visited on a Sunday afternoon I didn't notice any other tourists. And there were great local pintxos bars on both sides.

Bilbao itself is not a huge city like Barcelona or Madrid.

One of our frequent posters, mikelg, is a local in Bilbao. I'm sure he'll chime in shortly He has a great blog for this area - I also attached this link.

http://www.puente-colgante.com/principal.html

http://www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism/
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM

I am going to piggyback on your post, curious, and ask about Bilbao on a Sunday. As I depart early am on a Monday and hear (and know from experience) that a lot can be closed on a Sunday in Spain, I am wondering if I should rethink my strategy of leaving Bilbao immediately upon arrival and returning on a Sunday for my last night.

I would just add that you need not be outside of a big city to be off the beaten path. It sounds like a lot of people simply see the Guggenheim and call it a day. I tend to like underrated cities, but I also have to prioritize a 10-day trip, so I was only planning one day in Bilbao.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Bilbao has been one of our favorite cities since the Guggenheim arrived and started the revitalization of the city. The change has been nothing short of spectacular, and as a result, has had an effect on the entire region.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

CathyM, thank you for the urge to keep the current plan.

Yestravel, what perked your interred in Bilbao other than the museum?
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM

Bilbao is history (dating back to the 14th century), a pioner in Spanish industrial development from the late 19th century (the population grew from 11,000 in 1880 to 80,000 in 1900), a financial centre and a deeply proud city with an unmistakable vibrant atmosphere. Totally different from neighbouring San Sebastián. I love San Sebastián, but when I lived there and on all my visits, I would never miss the first night or the occasional visit to Bilbao to get my batteries charged.

Go to the newly reopened and emblematic Café Boulevard, just on the outskirts of the fabulous Ols town/Casco viejo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Anc...eature=related
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Yorkshire,

Don't know when you're traveling, but unfortunately if in the summer Bilbao will be dead on a Sunday. That was the day I was there, and although I'm glad I did it it would have been much better a week day. It felt like a ghost town. Other than the museum and walking around, there was nothing more. Many of the cafes/ restaurants i was interested in were closed. My visit was in mid July.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Bilbao was on our itinerary because we wanted to see the museum. Once I started reading about Bilbao itself I got much more interested. It sounded like there was far more to the town than just the museum and that proved to be the case. Among other things I read mikelg's, a local in Bilbao, blog and he really got me interested in Bilbao. Maribel's guides are also very helpful in describing the town and what is there.

U talk about "off the beaten path" which we always love. Bilbao in many ways is off the beaten path because most/many of the visitors only run in2 c the museum and leave. The often just come for the day and don't explore the rest of the city. The rest of the city is mostly locals. We were there in mid May and despite the rainy cool weather, I still loved Bilbao.

Not sure what u r looking to do, but another suggestion is to drive up into the hills and stay there. We loved our couple days in the hills - peaceful and scenic.

have fun whatever u decide.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM

I do love my hometown ... but Sundays are a bit of a dead day ... not too bad in the mornings, between the walks and the flower market in the Arenal and having a drink and a pintxo before lunch with the friends ... but in the afternoons it is not the most lively place.

Also, many restaurants are closed for dinner that evening ...

Bye, Cova
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Our Itinerary is as follows...and if there are suggestions for modification..please offer them.

Madrid - RoomMate Laura 
Travesia de Trujillos 3 ,28013 Madrid   5 nights  May 26-31

Tirgo - Hotel Solar de Febrer
Salvador, 8 Tirgo 26211      3 nights  May 31 June 3  (6 miles from Haro-rioja)

Bilbao - Hotel Miro
Alameda Mazarredo,77 48009 Bilbao       2 nights  June 3-5

Lekeitio - Hotel Metrokua
Playa Karraspio S/N Lekeitio, 48280        3 nights  June 5-8 

San Sebastian - Hotel Niza
Zubieta, 56 San Sebastian 20007         4 nights  June 8-12 

Saint-Pierre-des-Champs - Le Roc sur l'Orbieu
Saint Pierre des Champs 11220 France 1 night   June 12-13

Roses - Hotel Canyelles
Av. Diaz Pacheco, 7-9 Post 160 17480 Roses Girona  5 nights  June 13-18

Barcelona - Hotel Banys Oriental
Argenteria 37 4 nights  June 18-22 
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Loved the Hotel Miro -- we had gotten a really good rate on the internet and then upgraded for like $10-!5 to a Jr suite. Really worth it. We had a wall of windows looking out onto the Guggenheim -- and a nice large room.

The Hotel Banys Oriental was right across the street from our apt in Barcelona and it's a great location. Their restaurant is quite good.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Your hotel in Lekeitio is a bit far from the town centre..have you tried Hostal de la Emperatriz, also a Spa center, on top of the beach? some info on Lekeitio and the Basque Country (thanks Yestravel) on www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Your hotel in Lekeitio is a bit far from the town centre..have you tried Hostal de la Emperatriz, also a Spa center, on top of the beach? some info on Lekeitio and the Basque Country (thanks Yestravel) on www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Big thank you for new information.
Milelg, try as I might, I cannot find an hotel site for Hostal de la Emperatriz. I have gone to your blog 18 times, looked it up on Google, and poof..nothing ..it circles back to either you or some other place. HELP..I do not like being a ninny.
How far away from town is the Metrokua and is it a lovely sea side enjoyable location. Would we be isolating being there? We do not mind driving if where we stay is fun. The pictures of the Metrokua seem inviting with a sea view room. We could shift at a moments notice..please nail down the site for me..I seem to be all thumbs.
I think I said we are having luncheon at Etxebarri and dinner at Elkano...we are still awaiting "the blessed" pronouncement that we going to dine at El Bulli (Mr Garcia from the restaurant has sent several e-mails to us encouraging us to be patient..)
Now that you see our itinerary and know we are eager to have your input..restaurant suggestions are again welcome. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -