Bilbao or/and Rioja from Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 2-3 days to travel outside from Barcelona. I looked at some schedules/fares at http://www.renfe.es
What would be the best choice? Trying to visit Logrono and see Rioja (are there a lot of wineries/tours??) What about SS vs Bilbao..?
Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
rex

topping...
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:39 AM

MotorCoaches (bus) run more frequently, go more places and cost substantialy less than Renfe. I have found them quite comfortable. On long haul runs they will usually have a rest/meal stop about halfway although most are equipped with restrooms.

The main problem woud be to determine which bus company serves which routes and from which Barcelona Bus Station. Most Trunk lines use Barcelona Sants bus station.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:08 AM

I flew to Bilbao from Barcelona, a very short flight, and Bilbao is far superior to Barcelona in every aspect - cut short your stay in Barcelona, it's vastly overrated.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Based on what you've noted, you don't have enough time to do too much traveling. You can fly to Bilbao and spend the next couple of days visiting Bilbao and San Sebastian-Donostia and maybe even have enough time to enjoy yourself. There are even some bodegas and cider houses you can visit in the area, but I don't think you have enough time to do much of anything else.

The Rioja (Alta and Alavesa) are a three-hour drive south of Bilbao. You could fly to the small regional airport in Logroño, but then you might end up wasting most of the day just getting there.

Stick with visiting Bilbao and San Sebastian and save the rest for another time.