Reload this Page >

Biking through Germany, Austria & Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 03:38 PM
Susie

Please recommend web-sites and/or give advice to four women (ages 50+) who are planning to bicycle through these countries. Thanks! <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 08:49 AM
Richard

Susie, In the last 3 years my wife and I have done bike trips to Italy, the lake district and the Ticino; in Austria we started at Krimml Falls followed the Salzach to Passau and continued along the Danube; in Germany we started in Heidelberg, took the Castle Road to the Romantic Road and ended in Fussen. We move on each day, but do plan 2 or 3 night stopovers in the middle of the trip. In Austria we stayed in Werfen for 3 nights and did side trips to Salzburg and Hallein and nearby sights, we also stayed in Melk for 5 nights and trained to Budapest and Vienna. In Germany we spent a couple of nights in Rothenburg and Fussen. We travel solo, all our gear in our panniers, no tour group, no sag wagon. I'm 61, my wife is 52. Feel free to email direct, we live in Plano, TX, a suburb of Dallas.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Richard

Susie, In the last 3 years my wife and I have done bike trips to Italy, the lake district and the Ticino; in Austria we started at Krimml Falls followed the Salzach to Passau and continued along the Danube; in Germany we started in Heidelberg, took the Castle Road to the Romantic Road and ended in Fussen. We move on each day, but do plan 2 or 3 night stopovers in the middle of the trip. In Austria we stayed in Werfen for 3 nights and did side trips to Salzburg and Hallein and nearby sights, we also stayed in Melk for 5 nights and trained to Budapest and Vienna. In Germany we spent a couple of nights in Rothenburg and Fussen. We travel solo, all our gear in our panniers, no tour group, no sag wagon. I'm 61, my wife is 52. Feel free to email direct, we live in Plano, TX, a suburb of Dallas.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 02:14 PM
Richard

Susie, Sorry for the double reply. I forgot to mention that in 3 weeks we're leaving for the Rhine and Mosel valleys.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Susie

Richard - thank you for the response. I posted this message for a friend who is not on the internet. She and her husband will be visiting us on Thursday, so after she reads your posting, we will e-mail you. This sounds like so much fun. I am taking my 80-year old mother on her first trip to Europe in a week, but we will be getting around using Eurail. If you have any train advice, I'd gladly listen. Thank you! <BR>