Search

Biking the Bulb Fields

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biking the Bulb Fields

Hey all,

I want to bike through the bulb fields near Lisse, etc. one morning the first week of May. I've searched the forum and other websites and I haven't found the clearest answer to my question:

Where is the BEST place to rent a bike to do this? I understand all the train stations in the area rent them, but I don't want to spend a terribly long time biking to get to where the bulb fields are .

One poster indicated train stations between Haarlem and Leiden. Heemstede? Hillegorn? Voorhout? Does it matter?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Your best jumpoff from the train would be Hillegom but it is just a platform and did not have a bike rental place when I was last there. Next closest would be Leiden to the south or Heemstede to the north. I know Heemstede station and there is a bike rental store there. Leiden is a much bigger city so I would assume that there is a bike rental there also. Haarlem is a bit further north and there is a bike rental on the ground floor at the station next to the VVV tourist office.

I have ridden my bike from Haarlem to Keukenhof and to Hillegom many times. It is all easy flat land. The only problems could be wind and rain. Pick a nice day!

If you are staying in Amsterdam I would recommend that you rent a bike there from Bike City and pay the 6 euros or so to take it on the train. The train bike ticket is good until midnight throughout the country. Take a train that stops at Hillegom and then pedal from there to Keukenhof through the bulb fields. But you will see more if you make the extra effort and pedal from Heemstede.

On your way back, to Amsterdam I assume, stop in Haarlem and pedal around. It's my favorite city in Europe. The sun will be up rather late and if it is a warm day the Grote Markt and little streets south of the big church will be charming.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much. Excellent advice!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

One more question--do I need a map or are the routes well-marked?

if so, can I get a map in Amsterdam? (you are correct, that is where I am staying)
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM

You don't need a map because the bike paths are posted and it is easy to get help from local citizens. There are plenty of people out on their bikes.

But I would get a map anyway, and a compass. It is easy to get turned around and not know it. The map should be a scale of 1:200,000 or better yet 1:100,000. Most bookstores and department stores sell maps. Also, the ANWB Dutch "auto" club has stores that are well stocked. There is an ANWB store on the south side of the Haarlem train station across the bus terminal.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you hopscotch!! I am soo excited!!