Reload this Page >

biking in France

Search

biking in France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
juie

biking in France

We have done a number of the usual types of trips and want to do something different. we have always travelled independently and would also do so this time. Has anyone ever arranged their own bike trip in France? I know how to figure out lodging and route planning and all that. but, if we want to do a 4 or 5 day trip and have no interest in bringing our own bikes from home, how do we find good reliable rental bikes? And, how do we arange this ahead of time? My French isn't the best but I could probably manage a basic phone conversation about rental. We are thinking about perhaps parts of Brittany or the western Loire valley. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:54 AM
amy

Hi Juie:<BR>Our family has done around five biking trips in the past three years, most of them in France. We do not do them independently for several reasons, one of them being that I am a poor mechanic and my husband is a self-avowed non-mechanic. If bikes break, we want someone else to fix them! The second reason is that we have kids with us--it's great to have professionals who are fluent in the language should any medical emergency arise from a roadside accident.<BR><BR>However, I did some reseach this spring and found some companies who give you the opportunity to be somewhat independent. You can get the bike from them, they will give your biking routes (which are invaluable!) and they will schlepp your luggage to your next hotel (another big, big plus).<BR><BR>Here are my findings:<BR><BR>www.randonneetours.com<BR>This is a company that provides lodging, an itinerary, your bikes and luggage help. They just don’t go with you. I was tempted to use them for our spring 2002 trip.<BR><BR>www.bikingfrance.com<BR>They offer self-guided tours similar to above.<BR><BR>www.diversedirections.net<BR>Cheap versions of some decent trips.<BR><BR>And just in case you want to have the full-service treatment:<BR><BR>www.backroads.com<BR>Again, we’ve taken three trips with them and will take our fourth this summer. Well run, good reputation, pricey. Has special Family trips.<BR><BR>www.vbt.com<BR>Friends of mine who do Backroads also like this company. They consider Backroads to be a bit more upscale.<BR><BR>www.vangoghtours.com<BR>Don’t know this company<BR><BR>www.duvine.com<BR>Don’t know this company, but one of the posters on this site had used them and liked them.<BR><BR>www.andiamoadventours.com<BR>I was interested in some of their trips.<BR><BR>Hope this gives you a start. Will be happy to answer any questions about our guided trips, too.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Mr. Go

Amy has provided a wealth of bike tour info. I'll just add that the Loire valley area is ideal for biking. Very flat terrain, with a few hills to keep it interesting, and scores of tiny old villages, plus vineyards & wineries and, of course, many big, beautiful chateaux. Even if you stay in one place (like we did), you can easily rent bikes and ride whenever you like. You'll never run out of roads...or scenery!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:07 PM
julie

Another logistic that I just thought of is panniers or some other way to carry your things if you aren't travelling with a group that transports your things. Does anyone know if the rentl places also rent these?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:42 AM
tom

topping