Bike Tour or Rome?

Search

Bike Tour or Rome?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike Tour or Rome?

Anyone done a guide tour of Rome by bike? I see it is an option with some tour operators (Enjoy Rome being one) and would be curious for any comments by anyone who has done this. We are very competent bike riders and realize that this particular tour is different that a guided walking or museum tour - more sights in shorter time. After the tour we'll most likely do self-guided visits of specific sites.

Thanks,
Bob
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a 'semi-competent" on a bike, and riding in Rome would scare the beegeesus out of me
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Sorry Bob, but that sounds like a deathwish to me! LOL!!
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Having done the Paris Bike Tour, I really quite wanted to do this one in Rome too.

Some instinct prevented me booking in advance before we left, and once in the city, there was no way we wanted to risk attempting it!

If you are there on a Sunday you can rent bikes and tour the Appian Way when it is closed to vehicles - I found the info for that somewhere here on fodors.

But Rome is quite a compact city and you don't really need to do a cycle tour to get your bearings.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM

General information. Bicycle riders are off limits in most EU countries. Injure one with your automobile and you may end up in jail. Neighbor's friend's son is in jail in Czech Republic for killing a bicycler. I met a group in Warszawa from Michigan that were riding through Poland. I bet the down hill trips in Hawaii are more dangerous than a guided Rome trip. Try finding local bike groups. Germany has regular bike routes through the country. Inqire at DW TV.