Big Flood: Continent Isolated

Jul 19th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Big Flood: Continent Isolated

BBC last night reported that British science wags have come to the conclusion that the long held belief that the British Isles separation from continental Europe was a gradual moving apart of land masses is wrong.

And that really what happened was a relatively quick flood of Biblical proportions that eroded away what is now the La Manche. they point to geological ravines in the Manche's bottom as proof.

So what if the UK hadn't separated from the continent - wow the ramifications probably would be that Brits would be speaking German today and would be much less insular and a real part of Europe

BTW the Hackneyed headline from the 30s or so when ferry boats were about the only link to the Continent: Fog Shuts Down Ferries; Continent Isolated - i wonder if this is an urban myth or there really was some such headline that was a humorous take on Britain being the focal point of the world?
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I mistakingly posted this in the Lounge and knowing my MISTAKE reposted here - the first response from the Lounge posting shows exactly why it's foolish to post anything in the Lounge!

Author: Budman
Date: 07/19/2007, 10:20 am
Yes, and we should stop eating beef and go vegetarian to help prevent global warming. You just can't make this stuff up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...9/nbeef119.xml
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Back in the last Ice Age (about 12,000 years ago) it was possible to walk from southern England to France.

Back in the 90's the ferries stopped from bad weather and there has been transport strikes.

I've found America very insular too and there is the point that had the Brits been quickly overwhelmed the way France was, Americans might be speaking German too nowadays.
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Not only would Britons be speaking German today but be driving on the wrong side of the road too.
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM

sorry - but stick to the lounge. Silly thread for this forum . . . . .