bidding on Priceline

Search

bidding on Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bidding on Priceline

Has anybody bid for hotels on Priceline?

I saw some recommendations, but this seems to be a rather risky propositon, no?
It seems that you don't have any choice once you place an order no matter what kind of hotel accepts it.

Why would you try that? Or am I missing something?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM

go to www.bidingfortravel.com for detailed bidding advice.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:17 PM

You're right: once you place a bid, if it is accepted your credit card is charged. It is a risk, and only you can decide if the low p[rice makes it worth the risk.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Take the first posters advice and study www.betterbidding.com VERY carefully. I have been using Priceline for three years and have great success. We just spent 20 nights in southern California and 17 were on Priceline deals. For example: Embassy Suites in Napa $51, Hyatt in Orange County $39, Sheraton resort Ventura $55,Etc. Last year we stayed at the Marriott Renassaince overlooking Niagara Falls for $39!!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Just want to say that the correct URL for BFT is www.biddingfortravel.com

It's a <b>must read</b> before submitting any Priceline bid.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Ture, Bidding for Travel is a great resource, but be very careful asking any questions on that website. I swear the Soup Nazi's meaner sister runs the site and if you don't do things EXACTLY the way she says, you will get reamed. I read it faithfully, but am too afraid to pose a question.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM

in defense of Sheryl on BFT: yes she can be short but only with people who don't take the time to play by the rules, or who get indignant that there are rules. And she does an amazing job! I can't tell you how much I've saved on Priceline with the help of BFT. (and it was this board that pointed me there in the first place.) Just pay attention.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM

LOL-Zeus, you are soooo right! And brave to speak the truth!

I love BFT for bidding guidelines, etc. And it has helped us to land some terrific bargains.
...But the Nazi (there is NO other word) approach is really something.

I've never read the FAQ's, but anyone who is interested and monitors a few exchanges for the area/*level they are interested in...should quickly catch on.

THEILIAN: You will find on the BFT site, a listing of &quot;All Hotels...&quot; in the area you are interested in. Click on that and you'll get a pretty good idea of what is coming up and how decent they are. Good luck to you...we LOVE Priceline!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Thank you, rkkwan, for correcting my typo!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Yes, Sheryl has rules, but if you read them, she's fine. I got a great deal thanks to her help. $482 round trip plane tickets from Orlando to London in August of this year (plus taxes of $110). I also got 4* hotel rooms for $70 a night (plus tax) -- you can choose the hotel rating you get. Keep in mind that what we in the US think of as 3* is 4* over there, and Priceline is sometimes a bit generous with their stars.

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM

I certainly have no argument with BFT but happen to prefer www.betterbidding.com and Thereuare's comments and advice. I guess it's whatever you start out with. The main thing is the objective of bidding and getting a hotel at the best price!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Whoops, forgot to mention that Priceline has vacation packages where you know the airline, flight info and hotel before you buy. I just booked a trip to Hawaii for Xmas at the Marriott for $3092 and the closest price I could get on Expedia, travel agent , travelocity,self booking etc was $4162 a saving of over $1000. Gotta love Priceline!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
rex

Another testimonial for BFT - - and you can really learn just about all you need to know without even asking for bidding assistance, if Sheryl's rules seem too burdensome. I have not used priceline for Europe ever, yet... but in US hotels, I have over $2000 in &quot;savings&quot; in the past 12-18 months (I say &quot;savings&quot; in quotes, because there was at least one case for which the savings was close to $1500 - - 4 rooms for 3 nights in San Francisco, which we got at $73 per room per night - - and we simply would have never spent the &quot;full rate&quot; of $189, or something like that).

In cities with a lot of detail on likely choices, you really can use methods designed to get you (most likely) exactly what you want at phenomenal rates.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM

A thorough study of all the resources at BFT is essential the best outcome possibly with Priceline bidding.

For sure, Sheryl is &quot;tough&quot;, but she is EXPERT at what she does, her assistance is invaluable, and she promptly and tirelessly assists those requesting bidding assistance for every destination available - all anyone has to do is read her FAQ's and properly make their request, following the directions provided. For some, those directions are a bit hard to follow, but it's no wonder Sheryl gets impatient who are just not trying.

In the alternative, you can peruse recent winning bids for your destination for similar dates and proceed accordingly.

If you know what you're doing, Priceline is amazing. You really and truly can stay in a 4* for 2* prices, except during &quot;high season&quot; in certain destinations, or when every hotel in town would be booked for your dates due to some event or another anyway.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I personally think two of the very best locales for priceline are London and SFO. You can just about always get REALLY unbelievable rates at SFO -- like the Hyatt Regency or Doubletree for $35 or less. And the zones in London are set so if you know London at all you can get great deals.

Some cities/countries are not that good on priceline - but London is one place you can really make out . . . .
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:59 PM

I think the decision also depends on how critical to your happiness a &quot;perfect hotel&quot; experience at a particular time and particular place. For example, for our recent honeymoon, I chose specific hotels in Barcelona (2 separate visits) for various reasons: it was the start of the holiday and I wanted a particular location on the first night (e.g. beside Catalunya Plaza to facilitate late night arrival and early morning departure), and a special environment later in the holiday. However, at the end of our holiday, when we had 2 nights in London (a city I know fairly well and where I've stayed in a lot of hotels), I was happy to bid on Priceline (and got a good deal at Thistle Charing Cross). At that stage (after we'd splurged in several places, including riads in Morocco), we just needed a quality hotel at a good price to rest our heads. So I bid for 4 and 5 star hotels. Otherwise, we would have had to settle for a 3*.

I also think it's a good idea to bid for hotels that are one category above the category you'd budget for if you were making a regular booking. For example, if you're willing to pay regular rates to choose a 3*, bid on 4* or 5*s. You're trading off the uncertainty of not knowing which hotel you're getting for the benefit of staying in a better class of hotel. And a &quot;so so&quot; room in a 4* or 5* hotel is more likely to at least satisfy the expectations you had for a 3* than if you got assigned the &quot;lousy&quot; room in a 3* hotel booked on PL.

So, in your case, if you're moving around a bit on your holiday (so that one bad hotel doesn't make or break your trip), you might try PL for some cities (e.g. your short stopover in a city you've visited before) but pick a special hotel for a special place (e.g. the 4-night stay in the special city you've always dreamed of visiting). Diversification reduces risk.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Jed

Recently someone destroyed most of the posts on BFT. Much has been restored, but not all. I can't envisage all the work that has gone into recovering the info.

What kind of demented, depraved person would destroy info which has been so helpful to so many people? It is beyond imagination.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I tried to pull up &quot;Biddingfortravel&quot; and was told I am forbidden to enter.
How may I enter this site?
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Jed, unfortunately, I guess this happened to all EZBoard webservers. I agree, it's terrible. I've been posting my winning bids there for a few years and it's so frustrating that all that info has been wiped away. I can't even imagine how Sheryl feels.

Anyhoo, I agree, London has probably been the single best city for deals, New York used to be great too until this past year. Also one can snag great savings in Chicago.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Quite surprised by the glitch on entering Biddingfortravel.com. I go there constantly and access from several computers. I am not sure if there is a trick, but perhaps trying again is called for, especially in light of the recent vicious destruction done to that website. I wonder if anyone from Priceline could have been behind it?

I use Priceline knowing the risks. So far, so good. We use it all the time for New York and other places. I have also successfully used it for a great rate on a rental car in Naples FL.

In Europe, London is considered the best place for Priceline hotels.

If you are worried about cancellation, PL offers insurance, and there is lots of other travel insurance available.

By the way, I don't always get what I want on Priceline. When I get up to my bidding limit and still don't have what I want, I use more conventional booking methods.

Also, I concur with most of what has been written in all the previous posts. I too am sometimes afraid of Sheryl, but I bless her everytime I get a great bargain on PL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -