Reload this Page >

Bid Farewell to FF Miles

Search

Bid Farewell to FF Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:08 PM
Toby

Bid Farewell to FF Miles

I just picked my wife up at the airport and having some time, I had an interesting chat with a ticket attendant.<BR><BR>She said that the use of airlines FF as we know them, will be going by the wayside. She said that airlines need cash and not miles. But she also said that we can look for the number of miles to get a ticket to at least double.<BR>Anyone else heard any such rumblings?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Wendy

which airline were you talking to?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
xxx

I could see the airlines increasing mileage requirements and reducing seats, but doubt they'll go by the wayside. These are big for loyalty and if you don't reward frequent flyers (business travelers) then everyone would simply take the cheapest seat. I for one assume all airlines are reasonably price competitive and never bother to check airlines other than my preferred carrier.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Gretchen

USAIr is not discontinuing them. You have to spend cash to get the miles. It definitely builds carrier loyalty.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Dale

For a totally in depth discussion of this topic visit flyertalk.com. The consensus is ff miles will never be abandoned.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Jim Rosenberg

If it was as simple as the airlines giving people miles for flying and then having to pay the piper when they were later cashed in, a lot stronger case might be made for the industry trying to wean itself off of the rebate wagon. The truth is that frequent flyer miles generate a lot of cash for airlines. A large share of the miles are earned by means other than flying and the airlines are selling those miles. Carriers rake in cash every day through incentive programs, credit card affiliates, hotel loyalty programs and other purchasers of the miles who offer them as customer incentives. <BR><BR>The complaints about limited availability of award seats at minimum redemption levels have continued, but frequent flyer programs remain tremendously popular. <BR><BR>Several carriers have de-valued FF miles in the past year by easing into higher redemption requirements and ultimately, the airlines control the fate of the programs. But the idea that the liabilities associated with the FF programs outweighs the benefits in terms of marketing value and outright revenue? Well, it just doesn't seem to be the case.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:07 PM
FFlier

United Mileage Plus last week sent an email to all members saying the program would continue as is. I wrote to check on a few specific issues, and it's pretty clear that for the foreseeable future they have no plans to change their program in ANY respect.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Duane

Since when are "ticket attendants" people who would know what's going on with the inner workings of an airline company. Take the advice like you would take a horse-racing tip from someone working at a racetrack.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Duke

The above post was not written by a business person or they would realize that the one person any business does not want to upset is their best customers. <BR><BR>Airlines can upset Mom and Pop that fly one time every three years but they cannot upset Joe Corporate that lives on the airlines. The business is too competitive and people can simply switch airlines if need be. They will probably institute better programs instead of reducing what they have to lock in the paying business person. I let my business pay for the tickets and then use the miles for personal vacations....as do most people as the business expense is deductible.<BR><BR>I compare the poster Toby to a government employee that never has to play the game of business but gets to make the rules....and makes bad ones.<BR><BR>FF will stay around. They are all in too deep.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
Jon

There may be some truth to this. <BR>NWA recently increased round trip coach US to Europe from 40k miles to 50k miles.<BR>Delta went from 50k miles to 100k miles.<BR>j.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:06 PM
karen

I had to change a flight to Europe on NWA this October that originally cost me 40,000 miles. I am now going the end of April but since my flight destination is the same and my trip is still considered off season they are being nice enough to honor the 40,000 miles instead of the 50,000 it now is.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
Rex

I am actually puzzled as to why the airlines are inventory constraining the FF seats as much as they are. Despite the good deal to Amsterdam offered by USAir and United, y wife and I are still undecided what to do about a trip this fall, and I have talked to several of the airlines about seat availability for just three weeks away.<BR><BR>There isn't a whole lot to choose from, but there ARE some FF seats - - and what is most puzzling is that a ticket agents told me the plane (we might be taking) is still half unsold overall. Why not open up those FF seats and let "us" (people with huge FF mile balances) clear these "debts" off their books?<BR><BR>On the one hand, I understand that a person's FF account is like money the airline is holding, without having to pay intrest. On the other hand, it sits in their "accounts payable" column. Seems like they would rather get that "account" off their books, rather than let planes cross the ocean with empty seats!<BR><BR>Or maybe there is some aspect of this that I am not grasping entirely.<BR><BR>I'm just glad we have some decent options left, with such little advance notice.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:36 PM
Ho

Rex, please go somewhere, anywhere...just go!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
Anne

I just checked Delta's website, and it is still only 50,000 miles from US to Europe for coach. 100,000 miles buys you a coach ticket anytime...no more of the "no FF seats available". <BR><BR>I have to agree with Rex about not understanding why airlines to loosen up FF seats closer to flight dates when it is obvious that the plane is half empty. But, then, I'm a fairly logical person, which means nothing when dealing with FF programs!!<BR><BR>Anne

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Ho Ho HO

HO HO HO you are so funny I forget to laugh. Why you not talk nice to REX. He just offer helpful information. What kind of info you offer? HO HO HO

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:34 PM
elvira

This was a while ago, so it may have changed, but only a fraction of the FF miles were ever actually used. So many FF fliers who rack up 100's of thousands of miles never use them (do you really think Bruce Springsteen cashes in FF miles?).<BR><BR>I wonder how those miles are carried on the books - are they a liability? If so, you'd think the airlines would want them off the books....as Rex pointed out, why are airlines so "cheap" with the FF seats? I'd love to know the statistics on requests for those seats - do 300 people call for each flight, asking for free seats?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:58 AM
Jon

Rex, <BR>I know you've used NWA before...you may want to look into this:<BR>NWA is now offering more "cash plus miles" reward tix. I just secured one for next month (w/ a 4 week window) RT Detroit to Nice for 20000 miles plus $450. There were no FF seats available, so it would have cost me double miles for a "blackout" reward ticket.<BR>j.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
mari

i don't know if Toby is right or wrong but i will tell you this. i just tried to book a FF on continental and the lady told me that you should figure on 50,000 miles for a US domestic ticket. continental is now adding additional miles for a no saturday night stay etc. She ending up by saying that "free" tickets are going to be harder to get.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Mike

I just heard on the news today that Continental, Delta, and NW are looking to share FF miles as partners.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
GAC

I suspect this means that a much larger customer base will be competing for fewer FF tickets amongst the three carriers! The good news is that there will be three major foreign carriers to Europe to choose from: KLM, AF and AZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -