Reload this Page >

Beware In Barcelona

Search

Beware In Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Bedi

Beware In Barcelona

ack! Another report of mugging in Barcelona. <BR>Just 10 minutes after arriving I was mugged by 2 guys as I waited for the elevator in the entrance of the flat I was to stay in!! I've traveled fairly extensively and have never had problems before. Yes, being a single female traveler does make one more of a target, unfortunately. I suggest if you are arriving in Barcelona at night that you stay in a hotel that has a door man. MAKE your cab driver take you to the door and WAIT until you are safely inside. These two simple precautions would have saved my trip. I plan to return to Barcelona because it is a beautiful city with a lot to offer, but you can be assured that I'll employ these hard lessons I learned.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:31 PM
CoorsLight

Yes people do not understand how dangerous Barcelona is. You will get gassed, slashed, and robbed. People sometimes do not like to be in touch with reality. Yes Barcelona is beautiful, it has wonderful architecture but it is dangerous, and people do not want to admit that important fact. <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Surlok

Bedi and CoorsLight <BR> <BR>Sorry, but Barcelona isn't more dangerous than New York, or Miami, for that matters. <BR> <BR>One has to be careful and take some precautions, even more being a woman traveling solo. <BR> <BR>It could have happened in Paris, London, Rome, Madrid.. <BR> <BR>I'm a woman, and I travel solo often. I'm aware of the risks, and have seen myself in dangerous situations in both cities, Miami and New York, more often than in whatever city in Europe, though. Imagine yourself getting to Miami, downtown, to an unattended door or an empty building late in the evening. Do you have an idea of what could have happened to you? <BR> <BR>Once, me, my daughter and a girlfriend were walking at 9 AM, in Miami downtown. The area was nearly deserted, since the stores haven't yet opened, and we were being trapped by three guys that clearly intented to mugg us. We were saved by a taxi that fortunately was passing by. Otherwise, I don't know what could have happened... <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 11:00 PM
It Wasn't

Why would anyone go to Miami? I thought we were talking about Barcelona here.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:06 AM
jen

My husband and I visited Barcelona for the first time two weeks ago and other than having our umbrellas taken 2xs once from Adolfo Dominquez and the other from a small cafe around the corner, we really enjoyed our visit. Time Out had declared Barcelona a hot spot for pickpocketing, so we were cautious, but not nervous. If it starts to pour while you are shopping, hold on to your umbrella.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
xxxx

Surlok, <BR>I have lived in NYC for years, I have also visited and lived in Miami and have to disagree with you. I have not experienced anything bad in NYC or Miami. And I am a young woman, I take the NYC subway at 2, 3, or 4am after going out dancing or club hopping, and nothing really had happened to me, or anyone I know (young female friends). <BR> <BR>I have never seen a mugging, or heard of anybody getting mugged or robbed. <BR>In Barcelona I could literally sit down near or in Las Ramblas and see people getting pickpocketed, mugged, robbed, etc. I have also heard of several stories of women tranveling alone that got attacked in Barcelona. <BR> <BR>The only crime you see in NYC or Miami is violent, but it tends to be among friends or family members. Usually people get shot by a friend or a family member (somebody they know), or if they are involved in crime themselves, by jealous lovers, etc. Usually you know where and what is going to happen to you by the places you go, and the poeple you hang around. <BR> <BR>The same in Miami, drove, walked unitl the wee hours without nothing happening to me, I can carry a wallet and a purse in Miami and NYC. However, when I am in Barcelona I have to carry a money belt inside my clothes, big difference. <BR> <BR>Although I agree that CoorsLight blows things out of proportion (exaggerates and scares people), I feel safer in MYC or Miami, as long as I know who I am hanging around with. And I have to admit Barcelona has a problem with petty crime.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Brent

Coorslight, do you do anything other than post negative things about Spain? Every page I've seen your name on is about how dangerous madrid and barcelona are basically if you go you will die. You are very wrong. All you are doing is creating hysteria and making people nervous to what end? I was in Spain last month for 3 weeks without incedent and didn't even see anything happen to others. I stayed in a hotel right on La Rambla so I had to come and go day and night and nada. My biggest problem was running the hooker gauntlet and while they may have been after my money they didn't try and stab or slash me. Have you ever been there or are you just reading other postings and assuming that it must be the worst place on the planet? Pretty rediculous.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Surlok

I'm not lying. This HAPPENED to me. I was nearly mugged in Miami 5 years ago, and had my wallet stolen in New York, Manhattan, at the corner of 5th Ave with 50th St. in November, 97. This was the last time something like this happened to me. I've been to Barcelona (three times), and to other European cities since then, and felt perfectly safe. I also live in Rio de Janeiro, which Americans think is a very dangerous city. I never felt threatened here as I felt in the US. Big cities, anyway, are all dangerous, no matter where. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Capo

To: xxxx, Re: "In Barcelona I could literally sit down near or in Las Ramblas and see people getting pickpocketed, mugged, robbed, etc." <BR> <BR>You could...or you did? <BR> <BR>I'm <I>not</I> saying there's no problem with petty crime in Barcelona, and I also realize people's experiences differ, but we were there for six days a year ago in March, spent quite a bit of time near and on Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter, and didn't see anyone getting pickpocketed, mugged, or robbed. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Scottster

I was in Barcelona for five days in 1997 and was confronted by a man who I am sure was a pickpocket on the Ramblas. Thieves also tried to break into our rental car in Barcelona. I appreciate people who have had problems with crime writing in so others can be aware of the problem. I try to do the same in return. I think it is fair to regard Barcelona as having a much more serious crime problem than other European cities. Let's Go Europe 2001 says that Barcelona, Amsterdam, and Rome are particularly dangerous.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:06 PM
xxxx

Surlok: <BR>You were nearly mugged, please elaborate. Not to be rude, but are sure that those guys were following you and targetting you in Miami? Your wallet was stolen in NYC how? <BR> <BR>How did you feel threatened in NYC? <BR>Sometimes cities have a reputation, like NYC, it has reputation, people think you will get mugged, robbed and worse. Every time somebody asks me if I have gotten mugged in NYC I laugh, I just do not see how, unless you take the wrong subway line and end up in bad drug-infested area, but those areas are really far, it is hard to get to those areas even as a tourist. <BR> <BR>As for Rio de Janeiro, yes I have been there, and I agree with you Surlok, I did not feel threatened at all in Rio. I would say there is less petty crime in Rio, we walked around until the wee hours of the night, nothing happened to us. However, in the favelas (is that how you spell it, sorry not sure about the spelling) I think there are more violent crimes being committed. Well that is the same in NY, bad areas have violent crime, the rest of the areas are safe. <BR> <BR>But in Barcelona and other European cities crime is everywhere, downtown, central areas, around touristic areas, boutiques, etc. That is the difference. <BR>I am talking about petty crime though. <BR> <BR>By the way I have lived and visited everywhere in the world (including areas such as Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Kingston, Jamaica which are considered dangerous) and when it comes to petty crime and muggins and getting robbed I have to be honest some European cities have more petty crime than those countries in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Probably the only city I would really be fearful is Mexico City (more crime than European cities have and more violent). It seems there the crime against tourists is really bad (know a couple of people who have been there and live there). <BR> <BR>By posting on this thread I do not want to deter people from going to Spain because the reality of it is if you are smart and keep your valuables away, and try to stay in areas where there is a lot of people you will be fine. <BR> <BR>Capo: <BR>Yes I have sat down for maybe an hour or more in Las Ramblas and I have witnessed several people get pickpocketed or robbed. Also in the Plaza Mayor in Madrid I have witnessed the same thing. I could literally predict who will get pickpocketed and who will not. I have also witnessed single women being followed by several shady looking men(in that case I would warn the woman beacuse I felt that can lead to something more than just being pickpocketed or I have tried to divert the potential criminal or attract the attention of the police who sometimes are walking around).

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Surlok

In New York, I was waiting to cross the street ( waiting for the pedestrian green lights). It was 5:30 in the afternoon. I was using a bag with a zipper, and the thief, probably a woman, since there were only women around me, was very light handed, I didn't feel a thing. When I got to the hotel, I realized that my wallet had been stollen, with all my credit cards. No problem, I called Amex and mastercard and got the cards canceled a few minutes after. <BR> <BR>In Miami, we were browsing windows in downtown, it was 9 AM, and the shops were still closed. We saw three men getting closer and closer.They were making signs to each other, while watching us. The three of us felt the same, and we were not being paranoid. We're not this kind of travelers, since we are all well traveled, and we live in Rio. We were in the middle of a block, one of the guys was at one of the corners, the other one at the other corner, and the third was across the street. Fortunately, a taxi was passing by, otherwise... <BR> <BR>Once in New York, I got the express train ( shame on me, I made a mistake). The next stop was at 98th West, or 108th street, I'm not sure. I left the train, and crossed to the other side, to head south. I was scared to death, since it was approximately noon, and the station was nearly empty, unless for a group of Latin American young guys. They were also getting closer, when I saw an older gentleman, and got close to him, as if I were with him. I cannot say that I'd be mugged, as I surely would in Miami, but it was surely scaring. <BR> <BR>You spelled it right, favelas, and you're sure, crime usually occurs in favelas, rather than in other areas, but still, if you travel by bus, is very easy to be pickpocket. The thieves here, same as they are in New York, or Barcelona, or Rome, are very skillful, you don't realize that someone is touching you, or your pockets, or bag, unless when you realize that something is missing. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:50 PM
fakename

Surlok,I believe the thread was about Barcelona - until, Surlok started going off with Miami and New York. <BR>I too have lived in NYC (7 years) and have frequented MIami at least for a month every year I was in NYC. Yes, danger lurks if one is not careful or streetsmart. <BR>During my first trip to Barcelona in 1997, I witnessed a male and female tourist that were recounting how they were almost mugged at Parc Guell by a mugger, pretending to be another tourist. <BR>In spite of the frequency of posts on Barcelona muggings, this is still a wonderful city to visit. Just be a little more careful and be streetsmart. <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Paul

I was mugged in Barcelona (during the day I may add) in 1998. Someone sprayed what turned out to be shaving cream on me in the subway and when I was diverted by a woman who "informed me" about and "helped" me I was pickpocketed. Lost about $400 and 2 credit cards and a drivers license but luckily my passport was safe in another place.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Surlok

I know that, I just mentioned Mia and NYC because this forum is mostly frequented by Americans. <BR> <BR>My point is that any city, mostly big cities, are potentially dangerous, if the tourist doesn't take some precautions. So, US big cities are as dangerous as any other city in Europe, S. America, or whatever is. <BR> <BR>Public transportation are more likely to attract pick pocket thievery, for it becomes so easy given the physical closeness. <BR>Money belts are safer than wallets, as is keeping the original passport in the hotel safe, and bringing a color printed copy only. <BR> <BR>This said, I won't give up traveling just because there are potential riks of being robbed, since there are risks everywhere. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:35 AM
fakename

Just as a follow-up to Paul's post above, the couple that I previously mentioned as being almost mugged were, as I recall, also sprayed with some chocolate drink. <BR>Yes, Surlok, all big cities are potentially dangerous. However, it appears that unlike others, some big cities have made better progress in ensuring safety especially in tourist areas.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 10:21 AM
angel

The way to reduce crime is to enforce the laws with a competent police force and serious judges & a strict penal system. The problems exist when criminals are not prosecuted & encarcerated. In my opinion the police in Spain are frustrated because the petty theives are back out on the street soon after they are arrested. <BR>The politicians have to get tough on crime!Case in point, in the basque area of Spain there are daily acts of violence but never any arrests, because the nationalist party in power won't demand enforcement of the laws, instructing police to stand clear, letting street terrorists run free!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:19 PM
anything positive?

can anyone recount positive experiences of Spain? We were considering a trip in November/December but am getting scared with all the posts of crime in Spain. It is amazing how many posts about crime pop up from doing a 'spain' search. We're afraid that going in winter (low season) will make us more target of crime since there are fewer tourists around!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Bob

Coors Light A/K/A Robert, All Of Your Comments On This Board Are Full Of Hatred Towards Spain. Obviously Your A Drunken Racist Prick. The Spaniards & The Rest Of The World Are Laughing At Your Ignorance!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Jeannette

We were in Barcelona for three days. Many in our group were pickpocketed. One lady in line for the Gaudi was pickpocked two people ahead of us. In another line for a museum, a man tried to open my fanny pack but I caught him in time and he ran. Walking down the street after dinner in a good neighborhood, a well dressed woman had her necklace ripped off and, in the process, she was dragged a few feet before the thick necklace broke. My husband chased the kid but lost him. Her knuckles, elbow and neck were bleeding. We've lived in NY and LA and I've been robbed and mugged in New York. However, I've never seen so much daily street crime as in Barcelona. You've just got to be careful. Barcelona was a fabulous city and one of the highlights of our trip. Whatever you do, don't wear nice clothes, fancy jewelry or use backpack type bags. Dont' leave a shopping bag at your feet in cafes. And, keep your hands on your fanny packs and purses at all times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -