Search

Bevagna B&B

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bevagna B&B

It seems that Bevagna is a popular spot to stay several days and explore Umbria. Does anyone have any specific B&B recommendations for 4 nights? We would like to be able to walk to dinner, drive around during the day.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM

Genius Loci is a beautiful B&B but it is a bit out of town. So, no walking to dinner.
Google it though. It's in a gorgeous, peaceful spot.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

jangita: It is listed as a mile or so away. I don't mind walking a mile, if the roads are safe. Are they? It IS a gorgeous place, but we were hoping to save a little money during this part of the trip to make up for the cost of staying in Rome.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 06:59 AM

Like you, my husband & I prefer to park the car after a day of touring and walk to dinner. We've stayed twice in Bevagna. On our last visit (2013), we stayed at L'Orto degli Angeli and liked it very much. You don't state your budget nor the time of year you will be there but it might be worth checking out this lovely hotel.

www.ortoangeli.com
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

2010: That place is incredible, too! I was hoping to keep this part of the trip to under 100 euros/night, though. I have seen a couple of more spartan B&Bs, maybe I'll just flip a coin. Did you find Bevagna convenient for day trips?

And how do you pronounce Bevagna? Beh-vah-nya or beh-vahg-na? Or something else?
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 02:55 PM

"Bevagna convenient for day trips?"
Its very good and we have stayed there several times because of it. We never fail to take the long drive to the Piano Grande and Norcia but much closer are the local villages of Montefalco, Spello, Trevi, Foligno and Assisi. Trips to Gubbio and Perugia are within reason and we enjoy the ceramic artists in Deruta as well.
If you are into wines, Bevagna sits in the middle of a dozen or so fine producers of sagrantino, the local hearty red. We enjoy the restaurant L'Alchemist on the main piazza in Montefalco.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 03:41 PM

It;s been about 8 years since we stayed there (Genius Loci) but I would not want to be walking home in the dark from town to the inn. It's kind of a small 2 laned country road where the locals dive fast and I don't remember any sidewalks.

I, too, like to stay "in town" and walk home from dinner and a mile isn't far to me either but I don't think this would work for you.

Sorry. maybe I'm wrong...
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM

We also stayed at Genius Loci, but you really cannot walk back at night. I would second staying in Bevagna as we found it very easy to drive to other locations such as Assisi, Orvieto, Spello and Norcia. There are several good restaurants - all in a level town, which made it nice to us after so many hilly "hill" towns.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thank you. Something in town it is!
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:46 PM

eastenderusvi: If you tell us which B&B's your are considering, perhaps someone here can give you some feedback.

On our first trip (2011), we stayed in Palazzo Brunamonti. It was a simple, plain-jane hotel. Perfectly fine. Do check out recent reviews.

www.brunamonti.com

As others have said, Bevagna is well-located to see many points of interest in Umbria. If you would like to see how we organized our two 4-day stays in Bevagna, here are links to my trip reports:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...une-2-2011.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...oct-4-2013.cfm

As far as how to pronounce 'Bevagna', I think your first suggestion is close to what I would say BUT I do not speak Italian except for a few words + key phrases. Perhaps someone else can help with this!

Good luck with your planning!
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 08:15 AM

A great site for pronunciation help:

http://www.acapela-group.com/

Bevagna rhymes with lasagna.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

2010: The only two I could come up with are: La Corte de' Vasari and Il Chiostro di Bavagna. Thank you for your links.

Maine: Thank you. I'm a language person and it drives me crazy not to know the pronunciation.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 10:56 PM

eastenderusvi: Actually, we tried to book a room at Il Chiostro for our second stay in Bevagna! On the website, the rooms looked simple but comfortable. A view across rolling hills was very appealing. Sadly, there was no availability for our dates. So, we ended up at L'Orto degli Angeli. And it turned out to be very lovely!

Hopefully, you will be able to read some reviews of both B&B's that will help you make a decision. You will be happy staying in town, I'm sure.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent two weeks in beautiful Spello last fall but if wecreturn Bevagna is attractive to us as it is flat unlike many other towns.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 12:19 PM

We spent time in Spello and are returning again, mostly because we got to be friendly with the owners of our apartment--which was a real steal (roughly $350 for a week's stay). But I agree that Bevagna makes for a very attractive alternative. It felt very non-touristy when we visited and it has several very well reviewed restaurants. I hope we get a chance to revisit it.

Enjoy your stay in Umbria!
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 03:59 AM

We also stayed at Palazzo Brunamonti and thought it was excellent. The room we had, a triple, was great and large and very clean. The family who run it are amazing and went out of their way when we had a small medical problem (turned out that they ALSO run the pharmacy in town and were able to provide pills that we needed). It was quite a number of years ago, maybe 8, but I would hope they have kept up their great service and they were NOT terribly expensive at all, very reasonable. Umbria is gorgeous, enjoy your trip.