Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Better check your reservations. American canceled mine instead of ticketing it. Venting...

Search

Better check your reservations. American canceled mine instead of ticketing it. Venting...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 05:24 PM
kit

Hello,<BR><BR>Word of advice: double check your flight reservations AGAIN tonight. I have gone through an absolute nightmare getting my trip re-instated after American canceled my itinerary instead of ticketing it. Further, they have now screwed up the Fedexing of the ticket and I will now have to arrive at the counter and bank on the "affadavit of nonreceipt of ticket" working.<BR><BR>I have had it. Even the supervisors I speak to cannot get this simple act of issuing and sending the ticket right. They all blame the person before them or the computer. They will not give me their full names and phone numbers so there is no accountability and no way for me to follow up with them as this continues to go wayward. It continues to pile on in a not-very-comic comedy of errors. When one agent tries to fix something, he/she ends up executing a different action, which further screws up the reservation.<BR><BR>The good news is that I will still make the trip, but the itinierary is changed (and of course, much more inconvenient) and the seat assignments are terrible. (Flying St. Louis to London.) The only thing they say to me is "sorry" and that they will put 5000 extra miles in my FF account. <BR><BR>Again, I'm venting. But I do recommend you re-check your booking, especially if you're doing an e ticket. I had requested paper tix and if it were not for the delay in receiving them, I would have shown up fat dumb and happy with my e reservation on the day of travel only to have them say, "your reservation was CANCELLED not TICKETED on the 8th."<BR><BR>Arghghgghgh!<BR><BR>8 phone calls and counting....

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 05:37 PM
randall

Kit,<BR><BR>I sympathize. I *always* ask for paper tix for this exact reason. I want proof in hand that they actually did their job. Incidentally, I re-check vacation reservations at least 4-5 times though I have never once double-checked a business reservation!<BR><BR>Shows you where my priorities are. <BR><BR>Hope you make it to London without incident. <BR><BR>Happy Holidays.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 06:00 PM
Leslie

The reason that you cannot obtain names and telephone numbers of the people you speak with is that the airlines are using call centers to accept reservations. These call centers are companies that the airlines contract with. For example, one call center, may represent many different airlines. Also, let's say you call a specific 800 number ... the first time you call you might just be inquiring about flights and you might be speaking to someone in Dallas. Then let's say you call again to make a reservation ... your call might be routed to Detroit. You just never know, which is why you can't get any names.<BR><BR>Sorry for your predicament, but I hope this enlightens you as to why you aren't getting names. Sometimes, it's just worth the extra fee to use a travel agency, where you know the address, and can get the name of the person you speak with. Although, I don't always use travel agencies, sometimes the fee they are charging is worth the aggravation. Speaking of fees, the reason the travel agencies are charging them is because the airlines have reduced the travel agencies commissions.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 06:23 PM
anne

Kit,<BR>That same thing happened to me and my family on our (4 tickets) way to Frankfurt . NO notification by mail, phone, email...nothing. They just plain cancelled from St. Louis to Frankfurt.<BR>We had to go through Paris, which added on about $1,000 for trains, hotel, etc<BR>We did find out a few days ahead of time because a freind called and heard a "rumor'. Always check and double check!!!!<BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:36 AM
amy

Good advice to call and check in advance these days. United is cancelling flights fast and furious as well. Thank goodness we called to extend our trip home for the holidays because it was only then that we were told all of our flights were cancelled and we were re-routed on totally un-doable flights. Luckily we got it sorted, but especially now, I'd call a month in advance and then maybe two weeks.