Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beth Anderson, can't seem to post on your thread!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 04:06 PM
nancy

Beth, <BR>Keep trying to post on your thread, and something pops up saying this page can not be found. <BR>could be my computer, but could be something with your post, as you mentioned you had trouble posting it. <BR> <BR>Anyway, to put in my two cents; <BR>Best bet would be to get measurements off your brother, or off a jacket that is similar in sizing to what he would like. <BR>For what it is worth,the book, Culture Shock Rome states; <BR>"for men, a size 'small' shirt translates into about 37-38, and a 'medium' is about a 40; sizes are in centimetres of the collar, not inches." <BR>Not sure this will be of any help, but it is a start. <BR>And I wouldn't hesitate to ask an attractive man to assist, in modeling a jacket! <BR>nancy <BR>p.s. if you are adding to your list, a silk scarf in a pale green...

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Beth Anderson

thanks Nancy, you are so sweet! here I thought my title would catch attention - looks like it'll be buried again. oh well, at least I won't be told to do a search before posting silly questions again! &lt;wink&gt; <BR> <BR>I wonder if there was a prob with the post - I tried three times, each time it said "not found" or "out of order" but when I hit refresh it came up twice! maybe it's a ghost... !! <BR> <BR>I do think this quandary will give me a good excuse to search for that 5'10" cutie pie in my wanderings. hee hee. <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Susan

Beth: I also tried answering your original post and got the page showing it couldn't be found. The best bet is to take measurements. For an outerwear jacket, you need to add 4-5" to the actual chest measurement for ease, maybe a little more if he wants to wear a heavy sweater underneath. Measure shoulder to wrist WITH HIS ARM BENT (it'll be too short if you measure the straight arm). Measure back of neck down to the length he wants. Then you should be sure to get one that will fit. For the chest measurement, I would measure the inside of the jacket for more accuracy. Hope this helps! <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 03:45 AM
Paulo

I'm 5'9", 175 pounds ... and I bought a "roomy" leather jacket last time in Florence. You may therefore consider dragging me along even though my cutie days are history <BR> <BR>In my experience, chest size wasn't really the issue. Being bigger than taylor made it will accomodate smaller and bigger chests. Not so regarding sleeve length. Even though I think I have what's a "normal" arm length for my size (maybe not!), I wasn't able to find a single "roomy" jacket that fitted (sleeves were too long). All jackets with fitting sleeves were somewhat too tight in the chest to wear something thick underneath. People at the store had to adjust sleeve length overnight. I never bothered to check if the jacket has a size number but it wouldn't cost me to look it up. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 03:57 AM
Paige

Here's my recommendation: get your brother's measurements, find someone that looks about the same (who's also handsome, of course), take their measurements to be sure (snicker, snicker) then have him follow you around to shops to try coats on. If nothing else, it's a good way to meet a dude!

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 04:11 AM
Judy

Beth, my parents had the same dilemma that you have, when they went to Spain! They essentially did "that lady looks to be near Judy's size" thing! It worked, and the gorgeous black leather swing coat they brought me, is one of the loveliest coats ever, IMO, Judy ps. it would not hurt if the "model" was hunky too! Of course, just like your brothers, yes?

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Paulo

My jacket is #48 ... but I also have a couple of Italian "roomy" suits that are #50. Once they all wear about the same, I guess it's a matter of bigger/smaller make. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I got mine at a store by the San Lorenzo street market. The name on the CC slip is MILAD. This is located on Via Canto de Nelli (no number disclosed). I remember it being an L shaped store, with an exit to a side street on one's right. After an awfull lot of bargaining we payed Lit 1,100,000 , some $630 at the time (my wife bought 2 jackets for herself). Our daughters weren't along with us. When they saw their mother's pieces ... I had to give each $150 US cash! Not a penny more, I said! They went on their own ... and after 2 hours they returned, each with a very nice jacket <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, thanks everybody! This is very helpful. I'm glad you told me how to measure, Susan - I would never have known that - I could just see him trying to wear a coat with 3/4 length sleeves or something. <BR> <BR>and Paulo, you are indispensable. Did you live in Italy for a while or anything? <BR> <BR>so my Italian project will be - find cute guy, and nice coat (in that order preferably) <BR> <BR <BR> <BR> <BR>Beth, tape measure in hand, takes Italy by storm... hee <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 10:31 AM
nancy

Beth, <BR>I am sure it is still aweek or two till you go, but incase I don't get around to it, <BR>Have a *blast*! <BR>use that tape measure judiciously <BR>nancy

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 11:26 AM
Diane

Hi Beth - sounds like a GREAT plan. I can just picture you walking up to some gorgeous guy with your tape measure! <BR>(And don't worry if the sleeves are too long when you get home -- better too long that too short. A really good drycleaner usually has a tailor on staff who can shorten sleeves!)

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 03:23 PM
topping

topping