Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bestfares.com: worth the membership fee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:35 AM
Sue

I've been exploring internet airline ticket sites. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried bestfares.com? How about consolidators--Has anyone tried Flight Coordinators out of Santa Monica?

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 06:22 AM
steve

It has been worth it to me. I have used it to fly a family of 4 for under $2400 (Phoenix to London - June) and myself and a friend for $410 each (Phoenix to London - March). I also used it to find an inexpensive B&B in London (that alone was worth at least 2 years subscription). I have also used it to find discount flights for my employees that saved hundreds of dollars

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:20 AM
Gina

I agree. I've used Bestfares to get $220 R/T tickets from DC to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, when I couldn't find anything less than $350 anywhere else. I usually save at least twice the $40 membership fee every year, and often a lot more.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:03 AM
Donna

I joined Bestfares just prior to a trip to Paris earlier this year. I spent a great deal of time "browsing" all the alleged deals on the website. When I finally found one that looked interesting, it took me three days of calling to get through, whereupon the booking person was useless (insisted all flights connect in St. Louis, for example, when we were leaving from Boston). Called back, and only times available were ridiculous with long layovers. Worse, true fares were substantially higher once everything was added on. I had done my shopping elsewhere, though, and we got non-stop flights with American at ideal times for a lower fare than Bestfares "bargain". The good news is - cancelling my membership and receiving a refund was a snap.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:24 AM
Gina

Donna, sorry you've had bad luck with Bestfares. I've had the occasional problem when I managed to hook up with a less-than-competent agent at their 800 number; but I've had that problem with many travel agents. Now that I've found an agent there I like, I call her directly, and everything's smooth as can be! <BR> <BR>Sales don't always work out for my needs, but their bargains are definitely not "alleged."

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:43 AM
Sue

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I may give them a call and see what luck I have on the phone. Also from the website it appears that the fee is $60 now (or is that for the magazine and I'm just confused). At least now I know they are a reputable outfit, especially if you can get your money back easily. We do have problems with great fares since Las Vegas is not a hub, but then Phoenix isn't really either.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:50 AM
Gina

$60? Hm, they must have raised it since I last renewed. It was $40 last time; for me I think it would still be worth it to renew, since so far I've been able to save more than that every year on airfares. I don't really use them for much else--like car rentals and hotels, etc.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 12:03 PM
Diane

I belonged for a year. I still get the emails -- so I can be alerted if something super special is out there, although I can't get in to the Members-only sections of the website, not having the password you get from the magazine each month. I'm not sure it was worth it. My favorite travel reservations site lately has been biztravel.com. They really do reimburse you for late or cancelled flights for guaranteed airlines (USAirways, Continental, American). Plus I have gotten rock bottom prices on many flights, and great rental car rates.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Sandy

I'm throwing my 2¢ in, I bought two tickets to San Jose, Costa Rica and they sent me two tickets to San Jose, California. At first they admitted their mistake and said send the tickets back and they would reticket but after months of waiting and months of no responses, I finally had to protest the charges on my Visa card. <BR> <BR>So, in my opinion, they are not reputable, as they will not correct their errors. <BR> <BR>Sandy

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 10:50 AM
Marilyn Ham

We've belonged for 2 years and consider it a very good investment. The last ticket purchased was R/T Denver to Ft. Lauderdale, FL for $159 (taxes and all). We've never failed to save money and have not had any bad experiences. Marilyn