Search

Best Whisky??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:08 AM
mike

Best Whisky??

Whats you favourite Malt Whisky>?? Just back from Scotland and developed a liking for the Macallan and the Isle of Jura - anyone else want to share their whisky thoughts??

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:53 AM
kate

so asking about something to do with the culture of that place is NOT valid?? I fail to see how this question is so different from "can you recommend a restaurant", "where can I buy...", "what's the best .... to bring back from...".<BR><BR>Whisky is very much a part of Scotland's culture. Visit there and you will see from the mind-boggling selection that it's a bit different from buying a bottle of bourbon from your local store. Many travel books discuss this subject. I'm sure many people about to visit Scotland would be interested to know what to look out for.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Sheila

Lagavulin. <BR><BR>It's always going to be a matter of personal taste tho'

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
John

No, there are absolute truths in some aspects of life, Sheila. Glenmorangie.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:02 AM
jen

mmmmm-Laphroig...<BR><BR>xxx, perhaps a wee dram would be to your benefit... take the edge off, you know...

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Sheila

If we're talking absolutes, John, I'll see your milk-and-water Glenmorangie and raise you Mike's Macallan any day!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Joe

Macallan 12 year will do very nicely, thank you. At times, I do enjoy a Glenmorangie 12 year, port wood finish; in front of the fire with a good book, for example.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Joanne

Certainly no authority, but I enjoy sipping Glengoyne and remembering with pleasure our visit to the distillery, as well as other wonderful memories of our trip to Scotland.<BR><BR>j

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Gual

Hands down, Bell's over ice with water.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Bill

I really enjoy Tallisker...Smokey with a bit of peaty flavor. I do enjoy Lagavulin and Laproig also but not necessarily the older versions. Not sure about watering it down with ice and water though.<BR><BR>A friend of mine tells the story of when he overheard a man in a Scottish pub order a rusty nail. The Bartender replied, "I'll serve ye the Scotch and I'll serve ye the Drambuie, but I'll be damned if I'll mix them together for ye! In other words....drink in straight!<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
John

Lagavulin and Macallan? Bit confused in the taste buds, are we, Sheila? Or are you accustomed to chewing on peat? As for the Macallan, do you buy the 18 YO stuff using your inheritance, or is it just Speyside loyalty and economics be damned? )<BR><BR>Time for a drink-off, lads and lasses. Where and when to gather? Who's driving?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Sheila

Hey, you with the psedonym; we know who you are!!<BR><BR>You're just trying to lead these poor folks astray. You know fine that Bells isn't malt (although they do do one). And if you really want to wind us up, that should have been coke, not water you were pouring into it

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Sheila

D'you something, John? I drink more than one kind of wine too.<BR><BR>Lagavulin and the Macallan are the two best "ordinary" malts out.<BR><BR>They are very different, but none the less bad for that. I actually do drink malt whisky and having done a quick recce in my drinks cupboard discover that right now I have 5 Islays (Lapraoig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Bruichladdich and Bowmore), 5 Highlands (Oban, Isle of Jura, Glenmorangie and Royal Lochnagar)and 3 Speysides (Glenfiddich, Linkwood, Aberlour. There's more than one bottle of some of them and different bottlings of some of them. And for the avoidance of any sexist doubt, these are MINE. (My husband's a wine man).<BR><BR>I normally drink Macallan 15 year old. I once gave a bottle of 25 year old to my dad who absolutely did not appreciate it.<BR><BR>I like whisky (malt whisky) and they're all different and none of them is bad.<BR><BR>May I refer you to the definitive guide<BR><BR>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0751307084/undiscoveredscot/202-0188068-0326264<BR><BR>Please feel free to come and visit (Scotland)and taste as many as you like<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
frank

Bunnahabhain.<BR>Another Islay single malt, though not a typical one.<BR>Whisky loving visitors-Islay is a beautiful island.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Sheila

Hey, you know I have a Bunn as well!! Not bad-6 out of 8 Islays. have you seen the new bottle, Frank? Bit girlie, eh?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
jen

John- excellent idea! Let's have our drink-off way up north at the Eagle Pub in Dornoch- where myself and two friends had an informal and impromptu whisky tasting-- I suggest we take a cab...

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
John

I am humbled, Sheila. That's at least 13 bottles of whisky. I shall retire to my single end and nurse the last remaining drams of Old Sporran left in my cupboard. Aged on the truck. Slainte.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:15 AM
frank

Bunna was about to stop producing last year, to the horror of the regulars at my local.The new bottle is an attempt to keep it going, if it works, fine, these guys say they'd drink it out of a sweaty sock.<BR>Sheila, whisky goes off when it's opened.You are going to have to something.<BR>There used to be twenty-something distilleries on Islay, what happened?<BR>There isn't even a bottling plant on the island now despite high unemployment.<BR>IMO shipping of bulk malt whisky should be banned.The French would never allow it for wine.<BR>We need real appelation controlle.There are people in Japan mixing 3 year old malt whisky with Japanese grain and legally selling it as Scotch.We are cutting our own throats.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
confused

Bushmills 16yr old whiskey -- I don't care for that smokey stuff plus it has a bit of bourban taste about it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sheila

Hey, you know I have a Bunn as well!! Not bad-6 out of 8 Islays. have you seen the new bottle, Frank? Bit girlie, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -