Best Way to Travel From Madrid to Sevilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving by air from London into Madrid early afternoon on a Friday early May. We would like to be in Sevilla by early evening that same day. I would appreciate suggestions for how to get there. The AVE train is an option but appears to be very expensive.I would appreciate hearing from peoples first hand experiences.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Hi,

My preference would be to fly, actually that is what i did.

You are already at the airport, so you save having to transport yourself to the train station.

When we did it, a few years ago, Iberia was the only airline on that route. I don't know if any of the least expensive carriers do that route now.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I'm duplicating my response that I gave to your other identical post:

There are good long-distance buses by Socibus, and possibly flights in your budget if you check Vueling and Iberia and skyscanner and whichbudget and airninja. But if you arrive after lunch your options for buses the same day may be limited, they take 6 hours or so and you have to go into town to catch one.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Your husband can fly direct to Sevilla from London. I did with Iberia and it saved a lot of messing around.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM

If you've already purchased your tickets London-Madrid, there is an Iberia flight to Seville that departs from Terminal 4 in Madrid at 15:50. Can you make that connection? (If you're flying from London on British Air, you'll be arriving at T 4.)

I don't see another flight to Seville until 22:05.

The second quickest alternative would be to taxi to Atocha station to take that high speed AVE train. The AVEs to Seville depart hourly, on the hour, with a couple of Altarias on the half hour. It's a 2 1/2 hr. ride, as I assume you know.

There are web discounts for the AVE (40% and 60%), but currently, due to a glitch in the system, folks can't purchase these on www.renfe.es with a non-Spain issued credit card.
Renfe is trying to solve problem, as they told me in an email last week. With luck, they'll have fixed this glitch by the time you need to purchase your ticket, which would be as far out as 60 days prior to departure.

On the web site Renfe states that folks who purchase with a c.c. by phone can receive the 40% Estrella discount. But I'm not sure which credit cards Renfe accepts for a phone purchase. It could be only Am Ex-I haven't done this myself, but others have.

Dealing with Renfe has been extremely frustrating for all lately.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Meant to add that low cost Vueling, unfortunately, doesn't fly from Madrid to Sevilla, only to Barcelona.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Hello Maribel
Thank you for your very informative reply. You have given me so much to work with here. Yes, we are flying into Madrid with BA and yes our flight is already booked (part of a package we have bringing us from Australia to the northern hemisphere).I will certainly investigate flights with Iberia from Madrid to Seville.The fast train has a lot of appeal and if I can get discounted fares we would like to return from Sevilla to Madrid using it. I am very grateful for the Renfe web link you provided.