Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from Dublin to Galway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:21 AM
KR5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I will be heading to Ireland after our trip to Spain. We are flying into Dublin and need to be at a wedding in Galway 3 days later. It was suggested to us that we rent a car but all we would be using it for is for the initial drive to Galway. Is there an easier/cheaper way to travel? How does the train work- is there a specific train I will need to find? Or will we need the car for some other site seeing in Galway? If we are driving should I take a certain way for site-seeing??

We have never been to Ireland so any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Must sees?

Thank you!
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:49 AM

http://www.gobus.ie/ 25.00 round trip from the airport, we are doing that from our flight into Dublin from Edi. We are staying in Galway so we are doing some day tours. Google Galway day tours, there are many, Lally does tours to the cliffs and Burren. We are doing one on that takes us to Cong and then to the Aran Islands for 45 euro. That includes the ferry fee. Galway has a lot to do and see.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM

http://www.fahertytours.com/ This is the one that we are booking for the Aran islands. I have done the ferry from Doolin before but it is a smaller boat and does not go if the water is rough where this is a larger ferry and will go.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:55 AM
KR5
Original Poster

Thank you, that sounds great! I want to see as much as I can while we are there and day tours is something I hadn't thought of.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM

A little Google research will give you the timetables and fares for the bus (http://www.buseireann.ie/) and the train (www.irishrail.ie) between Dublin and Galway.

The bus from Dublin (or Dublin Airport) to Galway appears to cost 13.50 euros one way. The train from Dublin Heuston station to Galway will be about double that amount.

Once you get to Galway, I would highly recommend an overnight trip to Inishmore on Aran Island Ferries. They have a special deal which includes ferry from Rossaveel to Inishmore and 1 night in a B&B (probably Clai Ban, a good basic B&B) for 50 euros per person. They also offer a shuttle from Galway to Rossaveel for 14 euros RT.

We took advantage of this special a couple weeks ago and it's great to be on Inishmore after all the day-trippers have left. the island was quiet and we had a good dinner at Joe Watty's Pub. We took the last ferry from Rossaveel (at 6:30 pm) and stayed until the next day's last ferry. That allowed us to start sightseeing around the island before all the day trippers arrived on the first ferry of the day around 11:30 am. It was really nice to be at Dun Aengus with only a handful of other people. As we were leaving, busloads of visitors starting arriving! Also, it's really fun to rent bikes to get around the island and there are several places in town where you can do this. (10 euros per day or a bit more if you keep it overnight.)
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
KR5
Original Poster

Renting bikes is one of the things my friend is requesting on this trip so that is perfect! Thank you for all the suggestions. Anyone have any thoughts on Bunratty Castle?