Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to go by land from Zurich to Hanover.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had previously posted a general question, but now have a few specifics.
We are looking at leaving Australia on or about the 17th Oct. (still trying to find the best direct route) We need to visit a factoy in Zurich so feel we should also have a look around, as we haven't never been.
We then need to be in Hanover for the 25th Oct (trade show). We were thinking it may be nice to take a day or to and drive(DH loves to drive in unknown territory!!) to Hanover.
Our only problem is we need to be back in Australia for the 28th.
All comments and suggestions as always, gratefully accepted.
AD
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM

Your time constraints probably make it necessary that you largely use the autobahns.

From Zuerich, take the autobahn to Konstanz/Staad. There take the ferry across the narrow part of the Bodensee (Lake Constance)to Meersburg. It's a delightful old town. Before getting to Staad, if you have 2 hours to spend look, as you are leaving Konstanz for the signs to the Insel Mainau. Its an island in the Bodensee known for its little pALACE AND wonderful gardens.

From Meersburg, take the federal highway B-31 to Friedrichshafen, Lindau, another nice island city. From Lindau, take the A-96 Autobahn as far as as Memmingen, where it intersects with the Autobahn A-7, which will take you to Hannover.

Along the way, I suggest you stop overnight in Rothenburg and then continue to Hannover on the next day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:36 PM

This is a drive of some 700 km. Like Treplow, I think you have no choice but to largely stick to the autobahns.

On a good day you can do this trip by autobahn in around five and a half hours, 130kph being the recommended speed on autobahns these days.

But I also agree you should take the opportunity of seeing something of Germany, and I recommend overnighting in the town of Nuremberg.

To get here from Zurich get your hosts to direct you onto the autobahn towards Winterthur. Once on it, you look for the signs taking you off leftish on a regular road called the E41 through Schaffhausen and then Donaueschingen. In Donaueschingen the E41 autobahn (now also known as the B81) goes all the way up past Stuttgart to a place called Schwabisch Hall.
Here you turn due east towards Nuremberg (German: Nürnberg) on the autobahn E50 (also the B6).

This should have taken you some two hours driving time - but I am sure you will be tempted to stop at a parking area along the way to enjoy the Black Forest a little bit. And it would be foolish to drive by Tubingen without going the 20km or so off the main road for an hour or two to look at this famous university town.

Enjoy

Harzer (in Adelaide)

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Woh, that all sound perfect. I will look into it all. We may be able to leave a day or so earlier to make time for your ideas. I dont' know a lot about Germany......but The Black Forest and Nuremberg are definately places I would love to see.
Thany you.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM

Aussiedreamer:

Where are you planning to stay in Hanover?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:09 AM

On the A7 going towards Hannover, a nice place to stop off and spend a day or more is the Harz Mountain region. It is signed off of the A7, is an extremely beautiful area.

Don't worry about driving in Germany. Just keep in mind that the Autobahn signs always point you to the largest city in a specific direction...so instead of seeing large signs for the A7, you will see large signs for Kassel, Göttingen, Hannover and Hamburg as you head more north and more north. Europeans orient themselves on cities instead of highway numbers.

Driving in German is very enjoyable but very fast. This is only possible because people observe the rules of the road. Slower cars to the right, in non-speed limit ares, keep the left lane clear after passing other cars. That kind of thing.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Thats how our major highways are signed here in Australia. for eg. if you are driving to Sydney from Brisbane you see all major signs for Sydney. We aren't big on highway numbers here. WE noticed that in the US, we had to work out what Interstate number we needed to be on.

Dukey, we haven't quite got that far yet. But if you have a reccommendation I would love to hear it. This is our first o/s trips with out our DD's tagging along. So I'm sure accommodation will be much easier.

We are partial to the 'nicer' hotels etc rather than the 'budget' ones.

I have run the Black Forest/Nuremburg option via DH and he agreed it sounds wonderful, off today to get some travel books. He is of the opionion that we perhaps should have 2 nights between Zurich and Hannover.....me too!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM

Oops, did you not factor in that you get to Australia two calendar days after your departure from Europe? Assuming you are loyal Qantas flyers, you will have to find a way to make the departure on the 26th from Frankfurt am Main to fly into Aussie on the morning of the 28th.

Luckily, it's a late departure - five minutes before midnight, so you can sleep in Hannover the night of the 25th after visiting the tradeshow, then drive to Frankfurt, drop off your car and wait around for the check-in - I advise you to be there for the first of several security checks at 9PM for your 23:55 departure.

Look up the driving directions and maps at www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I had thought about that and we 'would' definately need to fly out on the 26th. I will look it up, but thought i would still ask.......how long is the drive to Frankfurt from Hannover.......and is there a train alternative?
Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM

for driving look at the sites I gave you, and for trains it's www.bahn.de

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Apparently you are visiting the EuroBlech ...

For the trip from Hannover to Frankfurt I would recommend the train since it is faster and more convenient than driving. Use the website suggested by the previous poster or the direct link to the English page:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...quest=yes&

Just enter "Hannover" and "Frankfurt Airport" under "From" and "To". There are some direct trains between the two places.

By the way, are you sure you want to drive? There are also affordable direct flights between Zürich and Hannover.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Frankfurt to Hannover - 3.5 to four hours by car.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to depart Zurich with our hire car on Saturday morning (21 oct) and take the weekend to get to Hanover. Arriving on Monday 23rd oct. And then we have booked the ICE to Frankfurt on our day of departure.

So thanks for any driving and stopping ideas along the way......now i'm excited.