Reload this Page >

Best Way to Get from Rome to Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Daria

Hello,<BR><BR>My husband and I are staying in Rome in May and then staying in Positano and Ravello. We are not planning on renting a car. On the day we are moving from Rome to Positano, I was thinking of taking the train from Rome to Naples (or further if that is possible), stopping at Pompeii and then going on to Positano. Is this possible? Can we take the train all the way to Pompeii? Is there another way to get to Pompeii from Naples? How can we get from Pompeii to Positano? Any help will be appreciated. Also, if you know of a website or other source for this information, I would appreciate it.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:53 AM
GAC

Rome to Napoli Centrale by regular train. Napoli Centrale (lower level) to Pompei Scavi by Circumvesuviana train. Departures every 30 minutes. Pompei Scavi to Sorrento by Circumvesuviana train (every 30 minutes). Sorrento (outside of train station) to Positano by SITA bus (roughly hourly).

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:53 AM
james

We took the train between Rome and Naples, and got our hotel to organise a taxi between Naples and our hotel in Positano. I think you can take the train on to Pompeii from Naples. I would definitely recommend hiring a car because there is so much to do and see on the Amalfi coast. The driving 'experience' isn't nearly as scary as most people make out, in fact we thought it was one of the greatest drives we've ever done.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Daria

Thank you GAC and james! GAC, you seem to have such detaile information, do you know if we can store our luggage at the Pompeii station? Do you know if there is a way we can buy our tickets before we go? Thank you again!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
kris

yes, i have the same question. can we leave our luggage in storage or in a locker or something at the pompeii train station??

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:59 PM

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:18 AM
xxx

Yes, there's a small room for luggage storage, to the right to the ticket booth. It's not 100% safe, though, because it's (at least it was in the past) unmaned and someone could walk away with your bag very easily. More stuff you have, safer it is because you may secure 2 or more bags together with a cable lock or chain. As a matter of fact, a cable lock/chain is one item that I always carry to secure bags together in the trunk of the rental car.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:19 AM
GAC

I would not recommend purchasing train tickets in advance. This is really NOT necessary, in view of the hourly frequency of service between Rome and Naples. There should be no problem finding a seat in first class (in many cases, even in second class where the train originates in Rome). Moreover, you cannot purchase Circumvesuviana or SITA bus tickets in advance!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Daria

Does anyone else agree that storing luggage at the Pompeii train station is not safe??? My travel agent told me it should be safe, but I don't know if she has been to this station!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:06 AM

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Nanet

I don't think it would be all that safe. If you just have clothes that can be replaced and not too expensive luggage, and really want to, I would say try it. But I wouldn't. For one thing people would see you putting it in storage and might peg it knowing that you will be in Pompeii for a certain length of time. There seems to be alot of scams going on in that area. I have been there thrice.