Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Lisbon to Santiago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this shows as a repeated message; I tried to post on both the Spain and Portugal topics, but only saw it on Portugal. Now I'm having trouble posting at all!<BR>We will be spending a couple of weeks in Portugal (Lisbon/Sintra area) in late May--early June, and would like to follow with a couple of weeks in Northern Spain. Does anyone have any advice on how best to make the trip from Lisbon to Galicia? Flying seems to be awfully expensive. Should we try to take the train? Or take the train part of the way, then drive the rest? We had thought of making our way up to Santiago, then eventually driving back to Madrid via Leon and Salamanca. Of course, we could do the reverse, also. Or something entirely different! Suggestions are welcome!<BR>Thanks for the help,<BR>Carol<BR>
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 11:24 AM

Drive--and enjoy the Minho enroute.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:41 AM
Maira

You asked the best way and bob is right--- drive all the way.<BR><BR>We did a similar route, only reverse, we drove from Madrid up to Segovia, on to Leon, on to Santiago, down to Sintra, back to Madrid via Salamanca. Late May-early June is a wonderful time to be there. Trip of a lifetime; absolutely memorable. In Portugal, Spend some time in Viana Do Castelo, a beautiful seaside medieval setting village. I had posted many times on hotels in Madrid, Leon, Salamanca, Viana, Segovia, and Santiago. If you can't find the past posts, let me know and I'll be glad to post those again. <BR><BR>A word of advice; beware of Portuguese drivers, they are aggressive; let them go their merry way. <BR><BR>Your trip sounds great!

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob and Maira. I will be asking for recommendations on the Minho, etc. as soon as I've done a little more research. Right now, we're thinking of taking the high-speed train from Lisbon to Porto, then renting a car there or in a nearby town. (We'll arrange it all from the U.S. beforehand.)I've heard about Portuguese drivers; we will definitely let them go their merry way ;&gt<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Carol
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM

I am not saying don't drive but don't run away with the idea that you need to. There is a good scenic train from Porto - take a side trip up the Douro by rail if you can even if you drive - to Vigo, from where you can easily travel on to Santiago by train or bus.<BR>Returning by both Le&oacute;n and Salamanca might be a bit complicated - I should hate to choose between them but if forced to, I should choose Le&oacute;n [train from Vigo if you want]. If you do decide on Salamanca, try to see Zamora on your way. Whichever way you do it, you might like to look at some of my notes which I will send if you e-mail me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:00 AM

Sorry - I did not realise that e-mail addresses do not appear any more. Mine is [email protected]