Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Heathrow to Southwark (SE1)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
My family of six (husband, wife, my mom, three kids-ages 10, 6,3) are travelling on an overnight flight to London, arriving at 9:05 a.m. (will be in the air for about 7 hours). We shall have three suitcases and two carry-ons.
My husband wants to take a car service from the airport to our rented apartment in Southwark, but I am balking at the price (I was able to get a car for 75 pounds one-way, for 6 people). How feasible/convenient is it to take the train from the airport to Waterloo Station (closest station to where our apt is).

Thank you!
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM

The underground will get you there in under 1 hour for 4BPs per adult. You need to change trains once.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:29 AM

2 BPs for the children.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM

<<< (I was able to get a car for 75 pounds one-way, for 6 people >>>

That's expensive - I'd be looking nearer to £40 for a car service
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:05 AM

<b>That's expensive - I'd be looking nearer to &pound;40 for a car service</b>,

for 2-3 people - maybe

for 6? I'm not so sure.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:33 AM

The trains to Paddington aren't really practicable.

Simplest by tube would be Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, cross the platform (literally - five paces) for an eastbound District Line, change at Westminster (escalators or lifts) to the Jubilee Line eastbound to Southwark. At that time, the tubes aren't likely to be overcrowded, but the children might find it a bit long.

Whereabouts in Southwark is the flat?
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Near OXO Tower, closest is Waterloo station.
Having more than 4 people in a taxi puts me in a different price realm, unfortunately.
Debating between taxi (car service) and tube. Tube is of course cheaper, but then car service is more convenient...thanks for the tips - depending on how the children fare after the trip, we may just opt for the tube.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM

I don't understand your last sentence...You have to pre-book a car service.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:29 AM

It's a fairly complicated walk from Waterloo, slightly less so from Southwark tube (on the Jubilee Line), I should think:

http://tinyurl.com/3bmdo6
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
OT

3 suitcases and 2 carry-ons.

2 adults and children aged 10, 6 and 3, jetlagged and tired after an overnight flight with little sleep.

How will you cope with the kids and the luggage at the busy tube stations? the tubes will be cramped too.

Do yourself a big favour and use a car service.

After all, you do not want to start the vacation with a big argument, do you?
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Hello, OT.
We did the car service (had pre-booked it, just in case) - and it was well worth the money. We did jump on the Picadilly line during our trip (still in London) and see people with luggage, but you are right - it is crowded. Will definitely take car service back, too.
Thanks all for the tips. Without kids, I would do the trains.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM

You need to do a little more homework...how long will you be in London...will you be getting transit passes (on oyster cards of course) for the week...children may be able to go for free...check out the transport for London web site...

Frankly a 7 hour flight isn't so terrible...really it's not...I know many people who have to take 22 hour flights to get say from Australia to London...now that would really be jet lagged...

The difficulties of the tube are very exagerated by people who have never done it....the big deciding factor is the amount of luggage...leaving from Heathrow, the carriages on the Picadilly line were built to accomodate luggage so there will be room..

Once you switch over to the District line at Hammersmith as suggested that does change a bit but 2 suitcases (presumably on wheels) shouldn't amount to a problem.

Again...while I can help you with the adult 7 day passes and the pricing London Underground has a very complicated set of fare rules for the kids but the tube fare can amount to next to nothing...on a 7 day zone 1 &amp; 2 travelcard on oyster, the add on fares for Heathrow are &pound;1.80 during peak hours (0700 to 1900 weekdays) and a scant &pound;1 at other times...as noted kids could ride for free (I just don't remember all the rules for kids) and believe it or not given London traffic, the tube could be just as quick as a car service.

But I wouldn't quibble with anybody who says having a car service is more relaxing and a bit more hassle free but the tube is not as bad as some of the nay sayers here claim.