Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Cinque Terre to Montpellier?

Oct 5th, 2002, 02:32 PM
goingsoon

Please help.
We will be in Italy soon and must travel from Cinque Terre to Montpellier. Should we drive or take trains..advise on best mode of travel with travel times,costs, everything/anything!! and THANKS!!

Oct 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Wayne

First, you must be arriving in CT from somewhere else. How are you planning to get to CT to start? If you go there by train, which would be preferable in this case, you might find it easier to travel by train from CT to Montpellier than to go find a rental car in the CT.

That's a long trip from CT to Montpellier, basically taking the better part of a day or all night. I haven't checked the exact train connections, but you should do so.

But what you mean by "best way" might not be what I mean. Is that the best price, best time, best scenery enroute, or other? If you drive, count on a full day or about 10 hours of driving time, plus stops. If I were making that trip, I'd either go by car and stop overnight somewhere around halfway like Nice, or I'd find an overnight train.

Oct 5th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 90 shows the trains. Both involve arriving or leaving about three thirty am.
La Spezia 1654, buffet car train, Ventimiglia 2028 to 2150, 4 berth and 6 berth couchettes, Montpelier 0317 selected dates, or carry on to Perpignan 0514 to 0528 (not Sundays), Montpellier 0708.
La Spezia 0341, train with couchettes and sleepers, Nice 0942 to 1010, buffet car train, Montpelier 1419.

Ben Haines, Londdon

Oct 5th, 2002, 02:59 PM
goingsoon

Wayne,
Thanks for the information. 10Hr.in car is too long and since we arrive at CT by train, I will continue my research on overnite travel by train.
Thanks for your help

Oct 5th, 2002, 03:02 PM
goingsoon

Thanks Ben....I'll check this out!

Oct 5th, 2002, 04:38 PM
jahoulih

This might be a little more comfortable: La Spezia 23:19, Chambery 05:03-05:20, Valence 07:03-07:49, Montpellier 09:02. Or better still, if you're not in a hurry, La Spezia 23:19, Dijon 07:40-09:06, Montpellier 12:34.