Best Way to Combat Terrorism? TOURISM! 5 Reasons to Visit Brussels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the wake of the tragic events in Brussels this week, I have opted to focus on the positive aspects of Brussels, i. e., upcoming gourmet food events that not only got me salivating, but made me regret I hadn’t gone to Brussels sooner! Brussels also reminds me of Ottawa, as it is similar in its diverse international residents, and its eclectic mix of multiculturalism. Belgium boasts of over 2,000 restaurants, with its chefs altogether claiming 17 stars in total.

Thanks to a very innovative Minister of Tourism, Mr. Christos Doulkeridis, Belgium has concentrated on its gourmet heritage with its highly successful Brusselicious campaign in 2012, starting with its creative Tramway Experience. One of its tramways has been converted into a gourmet restaurant, so now you can visit Brussels in style, with a 2-hour tour including a 3-course dinner made by top Brussels' chefs. This year's campaign is focusing on some of Brussels' top female chefs using local ingredients. The Tramway runs year-round, with a 1-month pause in July, so be sure to squeeze it into your schedule when you visit.

The next upcoming food event is the Brussels Food Truck Festival from May 6-8, in conjunction with Brussels Iris Festival. Over 100 food trucks await your gustative palate in Europe's largest food truck event. Be sure to check out Le petit nuage organic ice cream truck and El Camion Cantina Mexicana Food Truck.

Still in May, but higher up on the food chain is Culinaria, a Michelin star-studded event from May 21 - 25. Similar to Boston's Spinazzola Event, you can sample these famous chef's culinary delights with with a passport that will allow you to sample 4 plates over the 4-day period for 36¢.

Coming up in September is the Belgian Beer Weekend, showcasing over 70 of Brussel's top brewers. Enjoy the parade of historic beer carts, and the official knighting ceremony of the best beer ambassadors for that given year. The event is free; beer can be purchased from the vendors with special crowncorks.

Finally, what Belgian trip would not be complete without a chocolate event? Although it has already passed this year, celebrate next year's St. Valentine's Day early with a trip to Brussels for Le Salon du Chocolat the first week of February. From a fashion show with chocolate creations, to chocolate sculptures by Leonidis, get your chocolate fix (maybe even for the year) at this fun event.

This is just the cherry on the sundae of Brussel's gourmet events happening this year. It's most definitely Brusselicious and a great way to show your support for the local Brusselèèrs.

For the actual blog post with links, please refer to my profile page!

Thanks/Merci!

Jeanine Buckley
JBTravelwriter
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 06:37 AM

I hope many people continue to visit Belgium, but tourism is not going to stop ISIS or other terrorists (although if taxes were raised on tourist luxuries and dedicated to funding the sorts of things that actually would reduce terrorism, that would help)
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I will be returning to Brussels sometimes this year.

Here is a visual aid for my last trip to Brussels:
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...russels?page=1
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Be sure to tell me Kerouac, beer on me when you're here - and I hope I can introduce you to the best part of myself : my wife and kids.

Thanks JBT for that thread.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 07:42 AM

Heading to Brussels in April, too early for any of THE events you mentioned. We'll be taking taxi's and walking. Anybody knows if they have uber in Belgium?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 07:47 AM

I went through your thread once more Kerouac - I like the way you capture cities and I like your honesty in it : you don't show only what is nice.

BTW, the medieval vestiges you showed wondering what it was are the remnants of the 'tour noire' nearly embedded in the Novotel de la Tour Noire that I usually recommend to stay in whilst in Brussels.

Didn't see if you were at place Sainte-Catherine, in front of 'la bourse' - quite nice too and full of restaurants, a lot specialized in fish.

Very good report.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 06:59 PM

I've been in the Bourse area on other trips. I think I stayed at the Ibis Sainte Catherine two or three times.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM

I have spoken to the Easter Bunny and he will give the terrorists a serious what for.

Glad I could help.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:19 PM

Today I bought the <b>extremely controversial</b> new issue of Charlie Hebdo which is offensive and in very bad taste regarding the events in Belgium. But I absolutely do not understand the protests against it since the whole point of Charlie Hebdo is to offend <b>eveybody</b> from time to time. We are not supposed to laugh every week.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Easy peasy:

1. Beer

2. Pommes

3. Trappist Beer and cheese

4. Battlefields

5. Hopshoots
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:31 PM

I am glad Charlie hebdo exists.
I will not buy one issue (anymore).
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Are Brussels sprouts popular in Brussels?

sparkchaser - what about waffles?

Beware that Trappist beer that can pack a wallop with alcohol % nearly as high as wine sometimes.

For such a small country Belgium has quite a culinary history.

One thing the attacks could be to Belgium would be to unite the two groups - Flemish and Walloons - Dutch and French speakers - as they are quite apart and they say the only real Belgian is the King of Belgium - others identifying with their own language group - this type of thing at least in the short haul brings folks together I hope.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 01:48 PM

I could spend a month in Flanders.

Meesa love waffles.