Best Value for US Dollar

Search

Best Value for US Dollar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Value for US Dollar

Looking for suggestions for the best value for the US dollar for a 2008 vacation for me and my husband. We'd love to go back to Italy, but think that will wait till next year when hopefully the Euro will be a bit more reasonable vs the dollar. Anywhere in Europe that's not on the Euro to stretch the dollar? or other suggestions appreciated. We'll have 9 - 10 days. Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM

What makes you think the exchange will be better. The dollar and the economy are in the dumps. Just go
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Switzerland, UK, Sweden, Norway... none of them uses the Euro ;-)

No, but seriously.. whether or not a destination is expensive or not depends on the purchasing power parity, and the specific price level for tourist services (hotels, restaurants, etc.) in the area where you will be traveling.
Both Portugal and Italy use the Euro, but you will find substantial differences when having a dinner in a nice village in Portugal vs. a typical tourist destination like Rome.

East Central and Eastern European countries still have a lower price level for many tourist-oriented services, i.e. Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, the Baltic countries.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Cowboy,
That's good advice. How do you find Croatia and Romania?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM

"How do you find Croatia and Romania?"

Well, you could get a map. Or else buy a plane ticket and they will take you there so you won't have to find them on your own!

Seriously, we spent more in Croatia than a lot of other European countries, but maybe because we were mostly in Dubrovnik and things WERE expensive, plus we stayed at a really nice hotel. I suppose we also splurged on our accomodations in Slovenia -- both Lake Bled and Llubijana, making Slovenia not much of a bargain for us either. Haven't done Romania.
I think the bottom line is still finding your level of "traveling cheap" if that's the issue, and stay out of the major cities. Rural areas and off the beaten path towns will nearly always be a whole lot less expensive.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM

If you want to get bored, Croatia is for you! Romania is on a totally different ballpark
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Huh? Anyone who gets bored in Croatia for a week or two didn't do it right!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM

All the commies around you. They claim not to be, but they still are.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Oh, well if bigotry causes boredom, then I understand. I guess.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Good grief... Typing under the influence?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Oops.. I was too late.. I was not referring to you, NeoPatrick
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Dubrovnik sucks, maybe today they serve more than spaghetti bolognese there and even don't sell sugar in plastic bags anymore (You want a kilo or 1 1/2 kilo, thank you sir...), but it's still the same old town, just expensive. Anyway, are those shovels for sugar and flour still in use...
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM

We just got back from an 11 day trip to Italy (including travel days.) I just figured out what the trip cost us, and was pleased to discover that it was less expensive than a trip to Italy of the same length four years ago. The euro was $1.28 for the first trip, and around $1.55 for the second trip.

The first trip was booked through Expedia - we stayed in a three star hotel in Rome. This time, we stayed in B&Bs and had a lot more fun.

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Well, been there FAR too many times.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Romania is a true adventure, Croatia is utterly, uttrerly boring and expensive. (except Plitvice of course, which is "nice&quot. But of course, I don't expect YOU to understand. You've never been to Romania, right.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM

If you want value for the US dollar, might I suggest somewhere other than Europe? Argentina, SE Asia, Hong Kong...

If you must go to Europe, I didn't find Spain that ridiculous, but it isn't a bargain by any stretch. Avoid Scandinavia - don't be fooled by the fact that they don't use the Euro.

The UK can be done relatively cheaply, I think. You will likely save on flights vs going to some place like Croatia. And Priceline will get you a room for under $100 per night. Good food can be expensive, but there are ways to eat cheaply enough.

Belgium and Normandy is another area that can be done relatively cheaply. Fly into Brussels, rent a car and hit Brugges and drive to Normandy.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM

If someone has been to A, but not to B, he doesn't have to go to B to know that A is NOT boring if done right. We aren't comparing A to B. We are simply talking about A NOT being boring.

But, logos, I don't expect YOU to understand that either. Now go back to feeling superior because you've been somewhere others haven't. You really are special, logos.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM

It may be time to consider a cruise. Airfare, room and food all priced in dollars.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I agree... a cruise on a US cruise ship is still a bargain. Carnival, RCCL, Princess, etc. offer terrific itineraries and meals would be included so exposure to the crummy exchange rate is minimal.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM

The best value for the US dollar? That's easy -- stay in the US.

Let's say you take a cruise or a tour or travel on your own. By the end of your trip, you may have spent, say, $10,000 for two.

Think what you could do if somebody put $100 into each of your hands every Monday morning and told you that you had all that week to spend it on anything you wanted. Or you could just save it. And the same would happen every Monday morning. For a full year.

How would you feel? Amazingly rich? Meals out. New appliances. New furnishings. New clothes. Things that were beyond your humdrum, daily lives.

Well, for the first time in years and years, and with the Euro soaring and soaring, and the dollar sinking and sinking -- that is exactly what we propose to do this year. Sorry, Europe. You have just priced yourself out of our lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -