best tour group choices for Greece?

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

best tour group choices for Greece?

We are hoping to go to Greece & the Greek islands in the fall. We may want to do a combination of a small group tour (under 20 people) and some independent exploration. We can take 3 weeks (flexible). We have gone on OAT tours before and like them, although they probably wouldn't allow for an independent extension. Anyone with an opinion of the OAT Greece and islands tour? Any other tour groups we should consider? We are very active and big walkers. Price-wise, probably a mid-range tour, not the cheapest nor the most expensive. Thanks.
May 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM

The Greek Islands are very easy to do on your own. You just ferry hop. You can also take CHAT tours from Athens that give you a choice of 1.2.3 days to tour the mainland sites. Athens, is easy to get around in, metro and bus. We just took the ferry and people with signs of their hotels are standing there when you get off. Pick one you like, it it doesn't suit you take another choice. They also have information centers when you get off the ferry that has hotels, etc. availability. I would definately do Greece on your own and I'm a great OAT tour fan.
May 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM

NDesco, 3 weeks is a good length of time, and you can see & do a lot. Like the other responder, I'm wondering why you want a tour. Is it for companionship, or because you want someone to take care of planning & arrangements. Because you like group meals? I will say that if you are active & like to walk, some tours will frustrate you.

I've been to Greece 7 times since '99 (yes I admit, it is an addiction), and have done it on my own, usually for between $2k and $3k for 22-28 days including airfare... and stay in nice budget hotels too!;

Get in touch and maybe I can steer you to some places you'll like.
May 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM

OAT offers what they call a "breakaway" at the end of their tours. We took one after our Turkey tour - to Israel- though we had to return to Istanbul to fly home.
We're doing the OAT Greece tour soon. I think it allows you to book your own air - we didn't - then you can be as flexible as you want.
Happy travels!
May 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM

Good grief!
Just noticed how old this first posting is.
NDesco - did you ever get to Greece and did you go with a group?
May 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM

That's okay- I'm making good use of the information for
September trip to Greece....but I never heard of OAT tours or the other one mentioned : CHAT ?

do you have a URL ? Actually I would prefer to find a tour company based in Athens or Greece itself.
May 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Well I googled CHAT and found it but what I'm wondering is if they have English speaking tour guides on these bus tours? Does anyone have any experience with them? I think the point of taking the bus tour is not for the ride but to have a knowledgeable guide explaining what you are seeing and some history.
May 31st, 2008, 12:04 AM

mahya2

I've used CHAT's day tours from Athens a number of times over the years and have always had an English speaking guide.

The guides tend to mix their commentary between a few languages to correctly cater for other nationalities on the coach. I can't complain at all about the information they provided. It was very comprehensive.

Bill
May 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM

You can research OAT tours at "http://www.oattravel.com." They are geared to older, ACTIVE adults and never take more than 16 in a group. Since we discovered them, we never travel with anyone else.