Reload this Page >

BEST THINGS TO DO IN 2 WEEKS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 03:15 PM
VICTORIA

Will be spending two weeks in England, France, and Italy next month. I am a first-time traveler to Europe. Love all the "quaint and out of the way" places in addition to the major sites. Any experiences anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Victoria

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 03:38 PM
Richard

If you are going to be in England for 2 weeks, France for 2 weeks and Italy for 2 weeks, that's a start. However, if you're doing these countries collectively in 2 weeks you're short-changing yourself and the country. Travel is more than Big Ben, Tour Eiffel and the Colosseum(sp).

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 03:59 PM
Nicole

Victoria, I agree with the above reply that you don't want to cram too much in to 2 weeks or else you'll cheat yourself of really experiencing the towns you're visiting. I've been to Europe many times and my rule of thumb if I'm visiting more than one city is to stay in each town for at least 2 nights, more if possible and definitely at least 3 nights for the large cities. Even then, you'll usually only get to see the highlights. My last trip to Europe I visited 4 towns in 3 countries (France, Switzerland, and Italy) and stayed in each town 2-3 nights. We were able to enjoy each place, but still felt very tired after all that running around. On another note, I don't know which cities you plan on visiting, but if any of them are Annecy, Bellagio, Venice or Zermatt, I have a travelogue of my last trip to these towns at www.lunadesigns.com/travels/. Have fun!

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 09:25 PM
Linda

I spent a month in Paris two summers ago and found the people to be most charming and welcoming! I have some suggestions for you as far as France goes. When you are coming from England to France or Vice Versa Make it a point to stop in Normandy and see Mont St. Michel. This was the most wonderful place you might ever see. It is an island that has been completely turned into a monastery and village. The Monastery was built gradually since the 6th Century. Read up on the history if you can. I guarantee it will be worth the extra hour or so out of your way to see the place.

If you are going to Paris, I recommend you see of course, the staples, like Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Sacre Couer, and the Louvre. Don't waste your time touring the Louvre on your own especially if you have a limited time. I recommend you rent a tape from the Louvre which gives a guided walking tour in a limited amount of time. You won't be lost trying to find the Mona Lisa and then completely miss the Venus de Milo. Believe me I went to the Louvre every Sunday and never got to see the whole thing. I recommend going to see the Louvre on Sunday as the entrace fees are reduced. There is a good cafeteria there too that is pretty decently priced and the food is good.
There is a wonderful place on the Ile de la Cite, the island that Notre Dame is located on, called the Saint Chapelle. It is located within the walls of the Palace of Justice. The walls of the second story of this majestic church is almost entirely made out of stained glass. It was built to house the crown of thorns I believe. I highly recommend you see this. Also on the island located behind Notre Dame and across the street from the park is a Memorial to the French Deportation. You enter a little park at the end of the island and take the steps down to river level. There in a little crook is the most touching tributes to the French Jew Deportation I have seen. You will like that and the best part is that it is free. When you are looking for souvenirs from Paris, I recommend the shops located behind Nore Dame as they are slightly cheaper as the ones of the street directly leading to it. Hope you have a great trip!

Old Mar 20th, 1998, 05:40 AM
Monica

Victoria,

I must ditto Richard and Nicole's messages. I only visit one country at a time (2 or 3 weeks) so I can thoroughly enjoy each city. I too spend 2-3 nights in each city depending on the sights to see. I just love to wander the small streets! You may want to consider 1 or 2 countries for those 2 weeks, but then you'd only visit the big cities and miss out on the smaller quaint towns. Re-think your planning and have a great time where ever you go!