Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best spot between Cinque Terre and Loire Valley?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:08 AM
oskeptic

With two spare days between obligations in Cinque Terre, northern Italy, and the Loire region, France, where should I go?<BR>I am interested in natural scenery, hiking, historic buildings, and art. <BR>I am leaning toward someplace in or near the French Riviera, perhaps Nice, Marseille, etc., but I'm all ears for hidden secrets that aren't too far out of the way.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:28 AM
xxx

annecy

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Cassis !

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Rex

Too many good choices.<BR><BR>Antibes<BR>Corniche de l'Esterel<BR>Aix en Provence<BR>Arles<BR>Avignon<BR>Orange<BR>Lyon<BR> Chateau Longsard<BR><BR>for starters.<BR><BR>The problem with the French Riviera is that it leaves you with a very long drive to get onward to the Loire - - which is part of my reasoning for all the other places in between.<BR><BR>And I'm curious - - are you aware that retuning a rental car from Italy in France might have a hefty surcharge? (But then I don't know that you are doing that - - don't know how you are getting to the CT, nor how/whee after the Loire).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:19 AM
ttt

ttt<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:15 AM
oskeptic

Thanks for the ideas so far. To specify further, I'll probably be taking trains from Nice to Angers, which stop and/or transfer in places like Marseille, Cannes, Toulon, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, Lyon, Le Creusot, etc, some of which have already been mentioned. What is it about the places mentioned that is attractive? What art or architecture is worth seeking out? <BR>Thanks...